Opinions on first burn and seasoning a smoker for the first time?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

crimsontidetn74

Original poster
May 9, 2017
Near Memphis, TN
Hello all. I am a new member here, but not new to smoking per say.  With that being said, I just became the owner of a smoker for the first time.  In the past I have always borrow trailer smokers from friends when needed and never had to burn in or season them.  I am the proud owner of a new OK Joe's Longhorn and I have spent the last week doing several recommended mods that I found on this forum (pictures in my profile).  I am now ready to put the first fire in the FB.  Using recommendations I have found on here, I'm hoping to season the new smoker Friday evening after work. I plan on spraying the entire inside of the FB and CC with Pam and getting the temp to about 350 with charcoal/wood for about three hours. I am thinking this will be a good time to spend testing temp regulation also. Does that sound sufficient for this first burn and to season the smoker?   I am very excited that I found so many like minded people on this forum with a wealth of knowledge that are so willing to help others! Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

I would rinse her out first if you have not already done so then build the fire and dry her out. As for the seasoning temp I would shoot for 300°/325° for three hours once she is dry and lightly sprayed with Pam. Personally I have never seen a reason to super heat a cooker to 350° for seasoning it puts undo stress on the firebox.

I usually have 10 to 20 lbs of leg quarters to throw on after the 3 hour seasoning it helps to start collecting a good flavor in the chamber.

I hope this helps.

Thanks for the reply kam59.  I had concerns about getting the temp that high and what it could do to the FB since I am sure the FB temp will get much, much higher to get the CC to 350. But being my first time seasoning a smoker I wanted more experienced opinions.  I mean the OK Joe is a decent smoker, but lets face it, it is not real thick metal. I like the idea of throwing on some yard bird after seasoning for 3 hours, I had initially just assumed I would wait til Saturday or Sunday to put some meat in the chamber. Thanks for the advice!

I used 15 pounds of beef fat trimmings from the local meat market. Brought smoker up to 275 and cooked till the trimmings were dry. I have a real nice dark color in the smoker and it has stayed oiled good through 2 cooks on it.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky