Ooni Pizza Oven

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Binford 6100 Binford 6100 I've made about 60 pizzas with it so far. After my first dozen or so. I got her dialed right in. Pizzas are amazing. Better then most of the joints around here. And with homemade dough and sauce. Oh boy! Now I want a pizza! And for searing steaks, this would be hard to beat.

Cool. I think I am going to have to pull the trigger on one. I am not certain which one I want yet though. A gas or wood fired.

I have one. It's a pretty nice addition to the outdoor kitchen.

ooni_pizza_oven.jpg

I suppose I could create a thread but that means I will have to make more pizzas first to get better pictures. ;)

The only thing I will say is don't spend your money on this unless you plan on making your own dough and pizzas. It will not improve store bought ones at all.

ooni_105.jpg

I have one. It's a pretty nice addition to the outdoor kitchen.

View attachment 650985

I suppose I could create a thread but that means I will have to make more pizzas first to get better pictures. ;)

The only thing I will say is don't spend your money on this unless you plan on making your own dough and pizzas. It will not improve store bought ones at all.

View attachment 650986
Agreed. I have 2 oonis now. The 16"gasser. And 12"pellet. I keep the pellet one in the RV when camping. The 12"Fyra puts out a real nice flavor with a hint of smoke.

It's been hit and miss for me with mine. Using the Ooni (gas tank version) with thin crust has been an issue. The unit on high results in a crust with the very thin inside still not done but the outside gets heavily charred. Next go around I'm going to turn the flames down to drop the temp from 900+ to somewhere around 650-700. We'll see. Other issue is the flame ports on occasion get clogged causing an uneven temp spread across the stone. So far using a compressed air can on a cold unit has been the solution.

Reactions: Central PA Cowboy
Ended up ordering a Roccbox. Seems they have a lot of great reviews. It’s currently stuck on the other side of the country though.

It's been hit and miss for me with mine. Using the Ooni (gas tank version) with thin crust has been an issue. The unit on high results in a crust with the very thin inside still not done but the outside gets heavily charred. Next go around I'm going to turn the flames down to drop the temp from 900+ to somewhere around 650-700. We'll see. Other issue is the flame ports on occasion get clogged causing an uneven temp spread across the stone. So far using a compressed air can on a cold unit has been the solution.
I have a 12-inch Fyra myself. I've had it for almost a year now, and I'm still getting used to it. It seems like it is designed primarily for Neopolitan-style pies that require high heat for a short period of time. I like a "Chicago-thin" style pie and I've found the standard directions lead to a pie with a crust that's not done and toppings that are burned.

I've learned that the way to make a Chicago-thin pie is to heat the stone up to 900 or so and launch the pizza, then immediately cut the air to the pellets so that the temperature in the oven comes down, the toppings cook slowly and the crust cooks completely. I cook the sausage on the pie (it adds lots of flavor), so it needs time to cook completely.

I've not yet had a perfect result. I struggle with mechanics if I'm not struggling with the heat. Too often, I end up scattering the toppings all over the inside of the oven when I launch the pie! :emoji_laughing:

I have 2 pizelles in my back room that will be Christmas presents for my 2 daughters. They are dual fuel. I like that idea because if you're using them for a party it is great to go the wood/pellet route, but when you are just using them for dinner the gas route is quicker and easier. Supposedly they only go to about 750*, but that might be an ease of use plus.

I have the multi-fuel Karu 16. I have only used it with a mix of lump charcoal and wood chunks since I have an abundance of wood due to my stick burners. I have been very happy with it. I'm starting to think about getting the gas attachment just to give that a try as well.

I got around to firing up the Ooni with the gas burner. On idle and then cranked up. Pizza tasted much better than it looked when I pulled it out. No peel; tongs and a spatula. Got to buy some stuff!

So much fun, Sarge! I have a Roccbox and used it twice so far. You def need a peel as that will make your life easier. Still working on getting my dough down now.

old sarge old sarge
I would advice you not to get the Ooni wooden peel. The ledge is too steep and thick. And after ruining a few pizzas. I cleaned it up. And it's a wall hanger in the garage. Get a metal one.

old sarge old sarge
I would advice you not to get the Ooni wooden peel. The ledge is too steep and thick. And after ruining a few pizzas. I cleaned it up. And it's a wall hanger in the garage. Get a metal one.

Ooni's wooden peels are good for launching and cutting/serving on. And there seems to be a decent chunk of people who sometimes have issues with their dough sticking to a metal peel when they launch.

Their wooden peel with a sprinkle of Semolina flour on it works well for launching. I've had perforated, non perforated and wooden peels from Ooni and like them all. Ooni's turning peel is a good investment. Its price is out of wack but it beats using a regular peel and burning the hell out of your fingers trying to turn it with your hands lol.

Ooni's wooden peels are good for launching and cutting/serving on. And there seems to be a decent chunk of people who sometimes have issues with their dough sticking to a metal peel when they launch.

Their wooden peel with a sprinkle of Semolina flour on it works well for launching. I've had perforated, non perforated and wooden peels from Ooni and like them all. Ooni's turning peel is a good investment. Its price is out of wack but it beats using a regular peel and burning the hell out of your fingers trying to turn it with your hands lol.
Good for launching yes. I've had trouble getting the pizza out of the oven with it. Never had a problem launching with a steel peel. I use corn meal or semolina flour on the peel for launching. I don't know. Maybe my peel wasn't cut properly. It is great for cutting and serving on. I've thought about getting a turning peel. But I'm doing fine with the regular metal peel. After some practice I can turn them with it.
And. Oh yeah! Their prices on assys are wack!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky