One of the best purchases you can make...

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

greg b

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Mar 3, 2013
Indiana
One piece of advice that I always give to my buddies when they ask about smoking is to purchase a good digital, probe thermometer. I bought one that cost me around $25 at Lowe's. It is remote, wireless, and easy to use. I haven't had an issue with over/under cooking anything since I purchased it! I always pull my meat off the cooker 5 degrees before it hits the target temp and then let it rest for at least 10 minutes. EVERYTHING is always juicy and tender. That resting period is one of the most important tips I've found. It gives the juices time to redistribute evenly into the meat and WOW! I know this is old news to most folks here but I figured it would help anyone just getting started. I'm still a newbie at smoking, I just want to pass on what I've learned so far to anyone else who can use the info. Happy smokin'!

Hi, Gary!

I believe it is Master Forge, I will have to check. It was right around $25. It is pretty basic and very simple to use.

Good advice Greg!  The rest period is a big help on assuring the hard work you did develops into perfection.

The mule is right, if you can't determine what temp you are working with, you are guessing.  I'm not that talented, so I use the thermometers.

Best of luck to you all!! 
icon14.gif

It made a huge difference for me, I could monitor the temp and not have to open the door to do it, which in turn, lowered the amount of time it takes to cook. Is there many things better than smoking?
th_dunno-1%5B1%5D.gif
Me thinks not! 

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky