Old History Side Fire Box

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
This smoker became very expensive....after adding in the cost for the welder.
Got the hinge problem worked out. Bought 3/4 inch pipe with inside diamater 5/8 in. For the bolt I got a 5/8 dia galvanized concrete bolt. Checked the fit and its perfect.
Hopefully I'll get to work on it in a few more weeks. We are in Kansas City for the weekend.......BBQ TIME!!!

Well I took off today from work and worked on the fire box door. Learned a few things and I'll just have to live with it.
But if your reading this and thinking about building your own. 1st make sure alll your dimensions are true/square/flat. My fire box door is going to be a challenge now. My 16 in diameter pipe wasn't cut very good and I didn't correct for it on my frame. When u make your sliding vent cover....space it out enough to allow for the actual cutting torch.

I do have 1/8 thk by 1 inch wide strap to seal it up. I'm hoping I can correct for the uneven edges with this.
Looking for help though...... Any ideas?

It looks as if the door can be removed... If not, grind off the welds on the hinge straps on the door.... place the door on wood blocks and hit the door with a BFH.. (big ** hammer) until it fits the FB... re weld the straps.... REMEMBER, every weld will pull on the steel and cause warping.. The air inlet supports probably should have been tack welded with 1/2" beads at most... there was no need for strength in those locations... Just trying to help you in the future...

It looks as if the door can be removed... If not, grind off the welds on the hinge straps on the door.... place the door on wood blocks and hit the door with a BFH.. (big ** hammer) until it fits the FB... re weld the straps.... REMEMBER, every weld will pull on the steel and cause warping.. The air inlet supports probably should have been tack welded with 1/2" beads at most... there was no need for strength in those locations... Just trying to help you in the future...
Thanks Mr. Dave.
Yes I can take the door off. Yeah it's a lesson learned....too much weld on those.

Mr Dave I think I have figured out a way to secure my door and hit it with a hammer.
But I want to weld braces on the back side and after reading your comments here and other posts. I'm worried that if I can get the door right and then weld the braces on I'll just mess it up again.
Question: is my concern vallad or should I rock on?

Good Afternoon SMF!
Got a little more done today.
I did learn the small propane torch from any hardware store doesn't t work on 1/4 thk metal. And I didn't have a big enough hammer. I did manage to leave dents in the door but it didn't bend one bit.
So I welded the strap down and hit it with a hammer right after I welded it. And that did the trick.
So here's a few pics.

I'm hopping this style of latch will work. I didn't fully weld it in just in case I have to cut it out.
And here's another look. I did do some clean up after this pic....but I was way too wore out to take any more pictures.

If anyone has any tips or if I did anything wrong pleas let me know.
Have a great day.
Thanks for looking Dustin

I'm also waiting to get my final firebox door handle. It's going to be a lever from an old planter....just have to get it.

Last edited:
If you have a problem, they make thin high temp gasket material.... OR, you can keep bending those door seals until they are air tight... It will work.... high temp, flat black paint will fix lots of cosmetic flaws.......

If you have a problem, they make thin high temp gasket material.... OR, you can keep bending those door seals until they are air tight... It will work.... high temp, flat black paint will fix lots of cosmetic flaws.......

That's the plan for now. I'll heat and bend what I can for best fit. I will have to seal up the open spaces in between the welds on the door straps. Some are two large to leave open. Slow and steady....just like a brisket.

So 6 years later. It’s done.
we’ve moved twice and had another child, and took another job.
This smoker design works better than I imaged.
Thank you all for the help.

Last edited:
Here are some of the latest pics

Attachments

• C0BF7370-F87C-4940-8208-E33B2241ACBD.jpeg
    C0BF7370-F87C-4940-8208-E33B2241ACBD.jpeg
    163.1 KB · Views: 34
  • 6F1740BC-911F-4569-927B-F80C6B254316.jpeg
    6F1740BC-911F-4569-927B-F80C6B254316.jpeg
    270.3 KB · Views: 34
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky