Old Brick smoker/oven repair help needed!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Ray09

Original poster
Apr 5, 2020
I am looking to turn this into an oven to bake & cook pizza’s.

26DA395A-CD5E-4C6F-87B5-C6593138E3F5.jpeg

How can I make the top of the smoker the best way for keeping heat in.

Attachments

• 99DDEE3E-AEF5-4647-BC85-F5A41F99DDD7.jpeg
    99DDEE3E-AEF5-4647-BC85-F5A41F99DDD7.jpeg
    257.4 KB · Views: 40
What a great project. You already have draft out the chimney. You just need to figure out how to build up fire brick for a cooking surface. I can share a photo of one of the nicest brick ovens I've seen. The split wood burning is directly below the exhaust vent. and the fire brick dome and floor absorb the heat. They start a fire in the morning and measure cooking temp with an IR thermometer. Usually the floor is 500° to 700°. A pizza takes less than 2 minutes, and a T-bone takes maybe 3 minutes. The oven is deeper than it appears in the picture. And because it drafts so well, no smoke comes out the front. They do have a half round steel plate they can set in front when the oven is not in use.
nwvtih2.jpg

What a great project. You already have draft out the chimney. You just need to figure out how to build up fire brick for a cooking surface. I can share a photo of one of the nicest brick ovens I've seen. The split wood burning is directly below the exhaust vent. and the fire brick dome and floor absorb the heat. They start a fire in the morning and measure cooking temp with an IR thermometer. Usually the floor is 500° to 700°. A pizza takes less than 2 minutes, and a T-bone takes maybe 3 minutes. The oven is deeper than it appears in the picture. And because it drafts so well, no smoke comes out the front. They do have a half round steel plate they can set in front when the oven is not in use.
nwvtih2.jpg

Think I have an idea what your saying, but I cannot see the bottom on the oven in the photo..

personally I think I would get a steel plate. then you could cook on top too.

That’s what I was thinking, in fact, I found some 3/16 sheet metal. Cut it to rough size and layed some of fire brick on top. Turned it on last night for a couple hours to test out the fire, those bricks were hot!! I just wasn’t sure if I should put fire bricks over half of the top and the other half sheet metal!?

I think I would try and use thicker metal if possible, especially if your putting that kind of weight on it, it might warp. other then that your plan sounds good to me.

Think I have an idea what your saying, but I cannot see the bottom on the oven in the photo..
Here you go, the hearth is about waist high and their pizza peels have maybe a 30" handle, and the meat handlers look like a supersized pigtail flipper.
AHGkxe4.jpg

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky