Old Bay Seasoning

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
All above are excellent and have been tried my me before (esp the bloody mary
icon_lol.gif
) When my kids come to visit during the summers, they often want a basic fatty- just a chub wrapped in bacon. Between the bacon and the chub is always brown sugar and Old Bay, their favorite combo for a basic fattie!

Interesting thread- I just bought my first ever container of Old Bay and haven't even opened it up yet....was waiting for fish or something lol. I've used Tony's Cajun seasoning a lot before and really like it. I can't even remember why I picked up the Bay now, but after reading through here so far I'll have to start trying it in and on different things now.

Was raised on the stuff. Do my shrimp in it, use it on chicken, eggs, one bar in PA had Old Bay Chicken Wings, the best ever. Love me some old bay

Gofish is right on-staple here on the bay.Saw episode diners, drive ins,dives and a guy in conneticut turned out some good looking Q with old bay in his pork rubs.Probably be alot more available if the blue crabs go the way of oysters in ches.bay.Also Ancho pepper in old bay.

Love old bay, use it from time ta time on several different thins. Don't know which OTBS member was that be talkin to yall, but ifin he ain't postin here much anymore, so what? Ignore it, ifin it works fer you, that be the most important thin. We don't have ta do thins just like everbody else, what make this craft more fun!

Yo Piker...... Okay I dont know which store I saw it in getting old I guess. Safeway I think. but I live in British Columbia and know it is sold here in Canada. We were in N carolina and brought some back with us to BC only to find it here in more than one store. You may be able to find some in a local store.

Dang, if you're only supposed to use things for the foods they were intended for, then I guess we shouldn't like that focaccia bread so much that I top with an herb meat rub.

For those having trouble finding Old Bay seasoning (or cheapskates like me who like to make their own mixes and save money) I Googled this recipe. I haven't tried it so can't say whether it's really the same as the boughten stuff or not. But even if it's a little different it's probably pretty tasty anyway. And if you've never had the real Old Bay, who's going to know the diff? (I think I'd use ground cayenne vs. the red pepper flakes, to make it easier to put in a shaker bottle with smaller holes.) I did recently buy some Old Bay Seasoning at a Super Wal-Mart, so if you have those in Canada you may be able to find it there. It's in a blue and yellow can and was in with the rest of the spices.

Old Bay Seasoning Mix

• 1 Tbsp. ground bay leaves
  • 2-1/2 tsp. celery salt
  • 1-1/2 tsp. dry mustard
  • 1 tsp. ground black pepper
  • 1/2 tsp. ground white pepper
  • 1/2 tsp. ground nutmeg
  • 1/2 tsp. ground cloves
  • 1/4 tsp. ground allspice
  • 1/2 tsp. ground ginger
  • 1 tsp. paprika
  • 1/4 tsp. crushed red pepper flakes
  • 1/4 tsp. ground mace
  • 1/4 tsp. ground cardamom
Combine all ingredients and mix thoroughly. Store in an airtight container and store in a cool place. Use with seafood or chicken. Makes about 1/4 cup.

I don't know what this person is talking about, that Old Bay isn't only for fish/seafood, I put it on alot of things and at one time the large can had recipes on it for Old Bay BBQ sauce that was great on ribs(beef or pork) lamb,chicken mostly anything you can think of. I get mine from Cosco in the 3 lb. plastic bottle that will last me a few weeks, as I said I use it almost every day and being from Md. there's nothing that compairs with it.

The best part of the whole thing is this. It says right on the package "FOR SEAFOOD, POULTRY, SALADS, MEATS"

And from Wikipedia:

Old Bay Seasoning is a blend of herbs and spices that is currently marketed in the United States by McCormick & Company, and produced in Maryland. It is produced in the Chesapeake Bay area where it was developed by German immigrant Gustav Brunn in the 1940s, and where the seasoning is very popular to this day. At that time, crabs were so plentiful that bars in Baltimore, Maryland offered them free and seasonings like Old Bay were created to encourage patrons to purchase more beverages. Old Bay is just one of many crab seasonings created during that era, yet is one of a few that survived. Notable others are J.O. Spice and Baltimore Spice. Although it is not overly high in sodium,[citation needed] McCormick recently has offered a lower salt version of Old Bay Seasoning.
Old Bay Seasoning is named after the Old Bay Line, a passenger ship line that plied the waters of the Chesapeake Bay from Baltimore to Norfolk, Virginia, in the early 1900s. Gustav Brunn’s company became the Old Bay Company, producing crab seasonings in the unique yellow can container until the company was purchased by McCormick & Co around 1990. McCormick continues to offer Old Bay in the classic yellow can.
The seasoning mix includes celery salt, bay leaf, mustard seed, both black and red pepper, cinnamon, and ginger. It is regionally used, specifically in Mid-Atlantic States and parts of the Gulf Coast. It serves to season crab and shrimp.
In addition to flavoring seafood, the seasoning is often used as a topping on popcorn, salads, eggs, fried chicken, french fries, tater tots, corn on the cob, and potato chips. Several movie theaters in the Chesapeake region actually offer it in the condiment section. Potato chip manufacturer Utz created the original "Crab Chip" based on an analogue spice mix. The popular potato chip variety was later copied and marketed by Herr’s. Early in its history, the Subway sandwich shop used to use Old Bay when mixing their seafood and crab salad. Many local Subway shops in the Baltimore region still have Old Bay for use on sandwiches.[citation needed] Old Bay is also occasionally used around the Chesapeake Bay region as an ingredient in Bloody Marys.
McCormick has a number of other products under the Old Bay banner, including seasoning packets for crab cakes, salmon patties and tuna, tartar sauce, cocktail sauce, and seafood batter mix. They also make other seasoning blends that mix Old Bay seasoning with garlic, lemon, herbs and blackened seasonings.

and to think i been wasting old bay all these years, i just never new it was only for seafood. i'll have to find a new base for meat rubs.

You guys got me hungry for some steamed shrimp with old bay. In my opinion, the best way to have them. Use 1 cup of water, 1 cup of vinegar, throw some old bay into the water...Bring to boil, dump shrimp in the steamer basket. Sprinkle liberally with Old Bay. Put top on, stir on occasion and until they turn pink. Melt some butter. So good.

Real nice.We are doing shrimp to munch on at our bbq comp tomorrow.Looks good-i will be thinking of that on 2 hour drive.Comp is pork in the park salisbury,maryland-i made a link while back in bbq forum.

Old Bay has got to be one of most widely used spices in our house. On eggs in the morning, on steak on the grill. On burgers,hmmmmmm. And it even tastes good on seafood I hear
PDT_Armataz_01_22.gif

Good, then I will have something to munch on when I stop by your teams set-up! We have a 3 hr drive (probably only 1 hr if we could travel straight from point A to point B ...... damned Bay!)

Good luck with the comp, we will be looking for the Black Cat crew as spectaters!

Ahhh Good Ole Bay. Just like the Franks red hot sauce commercial "I put that s!@# on everything". Old Bay is great and it surely not made only for seafood.

azrocker keep doing what your are doing no need to defend your self here.

Thats what keeps this place interesting. Everybody blows everything outta perportion (sp?).

Old bay is the secret ing. in my brisket rub. I guess its no secret afterall...

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky