Oklahoma Joe Longhorn Reverse Flow??

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
No worries comer4tide, it's not hijacking the thread if it's all part of the community of smokers.  You always can PM if we become a nuisance, but this'll probably be my last Lang post in the OKJ thread:

I had the extra "true" 2nd rack slide out shelf in rails in place--not that silly 4 legged upper-level table that used to come with them.  The "true" 2nd shelf adds a lot more real estate.  I'm admittedly only one cook in but here's what I'm confident I could get into the smoker side of my Lang 36 Hybrid Deluxe Patio:

1) 8 racks of full St Louis spares (4 upper , 4 lower) laying flat; I'm sure you could double this if you got dedicated rib racks

2) If I packed shoulders so they're grazing each other, I'm sure I could get a dozen in there (6 upper, 6 lower)

3) 6 packer briskets (3 upper, 3 lower)

This is to say nothing of the warmer box, which I'm only just getting ready to tap.  My wife likes seafood and veggies so I'm probably going to dedicate the warmer box to these lighter items.  You mentioned mobility and I'd highly recommend the $300 factory upgrade that includes 4 pneumatic boat trailers tires and a T arm to swivel the front axel.  It made rolling it on and off the flat bed trailer a breeze!!

Reactions: comer4tide
See my post on 3/28/2017 for the mods I made. The gasket I bought was LavaLock 12 GREY High Performance BBQ gasket smoker seal SELF STICK.

Question, im fairly new to this but have been doing alot of research my self. I have a question regarding this reverse flow. For those familiar with the OKJ RF and bbqsmokermods.com do you think it would be more advantages to get the tuning plate to fit the grillfrom there being as though it will sit much lower in the main compartment, or do you think that the baffles that come with the grill are just as good

Question, im fairly new to this but have been doing alot of research my self. I have a question regarding this reverse flow. For those familiar with the OKJ RF and bbqsmokermods.com do you think it would be more advantages to get the tuning plate to fit the grillfrom there being as though it will sit much lower in the main compartment, or do you think that the baffles that come with the grill are just as good
I've been eyeballing those plates as well, and to be honest, I think we're better off with the stock plates that come with the OKJRF.  I say that for a few reasons:

1) the folks at Island Outdoor said those tuning plates were originally designed for the standard OKJ - the one that only has one stack opposite the firebox and no plates.

2) those tuning plates sit pretty darned low in the smokebox - I have to open the firebox cleanout door all the way to get enough O2 for a clean burn, and since those tuning plates appear to be sitting around the same horizontal level as the upper opening of the firebox cleanout door, that makes me think a lot of smoke is going to be pushed out of the firebox door as well - I can't say for sure 'cause I don't have them (and not about to plop down the cash to find out).

3) those tuning plates should probably be hard mounted per the video demo, otherwise they can move around and won't seal very well - hard mounting them pretty much stops you from using the smokebox as a standard grill - one of the nice features they put into the OKJ Reverse Flow.

4) the stock plates have been working fine for me.

I'll stay with the stock plates until someone does an actual comparison. 

I just ordered 1 of these today. 

I had a Brinkmann Trailmaster Limited Edition and after a few years my firebox has rusted out. I've take the grill to a metal fabricator for them to put me a larger and heavier steal firebox on but in the meantime I ordered the Longhorn RF.

I'm due to get it on the 22nd, ill report back later how things work.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky