Oklahoma Joe Longhorn Reverse Flow??

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I have the Longhorn model - which is a bit larger than the Highland (but still not towable size).  These DO have easily removable tuning plates, and a re-locatable smoke stack for quick cooking purposes.

In the picture attached - you can see the port on the side on the left (opposite the firebox) to move the smoke stack to when you want to go "traditional".

Overkill or not - I like it for its flexibility as a regular grill, smoker, or RF smoker.  It's obviously not for everyone, but for me, it works great.

Thanks for sharing! Looks like it will do a good job for you!

Reactions: vthokies92
I am interested in buying one of these, but can not decide between the highland or longhorn model. Anyone have suggestions?

I am interested in buying one of these, but can not decide between the highland or longhorn model. Anyone have suggestions?
It all depends on how much smoking your going to do. Rather it be smoking for just you, or the whole gang on the weekend. The Longhorn is bigger than the Highland

Most of the time I would be just cooking for me and my wife, but would like the capacity to cook for the whole gang and also I do my own venison snack sticks and summer sausage

Most of the time I would be just cooking for me and my wife, but would like the capacity to cook for the whole gang and also I do my own venison snack sticks and summer sausage
Myself I would go with the Longhorn. It will give you a little extra room when you need it.

Last edited:
I just purchased the Highland Reverse Flow last night from Amazon. It was $379 with free scheduled shipping through Prime. I also ordered 30ft lavalock gasket to make sure all of the cracks are filled. Cant wait to get it put together and seasoned.

I don't understand the need for a reverse flow on such a small rig.  RFs are typically used for large spans (towable rigs) and have a solid plate tacked in below the cooking surface.  At the Highland size, this is largely a marketing ploy:  similar results can be obtained by using tuning plates (4x16x0.25) that float under the grates to even out the heat in such a small space.  Take a look at Horizon's backyard smokers:  Horizon are the Davidsons.  The Davidsons are who started Oklahoma Joe in Perry OK, sold to CharBroil, and OKJ are now being pumped out of China.   None of their smokers have a RF stack on them, unless it is a special order, and there's a reason why you don't see one:  it's really overkill and unnecessary.  Nor did you see them prior to them selling out to CB.

Similarly, if you want to cook something hot and fast, you don't have the flexibility with a RF rig like you have on a conventional by moving the tuning plate(s) out of the way and putting what you want next to the firebox.  Glad it worked out for you, wc, but I don't see the need.  My $0.02.
Im with you, I have an older highland (still a CB made machine tho) and cant see RF being effective on it. I use a cookie sheet over the firebox opening when I dont want the chamber to be hot and it knocks the temp down 40 or so degrees on the FB side of the chamber and has about a 10 difference to exhaust side and overall with the cookie sheet itll run 220ish but without the sheet I can run it up to 300 or more if i choose or if i want to get a big piece done quickly or punch thru a stall on a butt or brisket. 

I enjoy reading these comments. I've never had a reverse flow and wanted one. Didn't know it wouldn't do much good on a smaller unit in your opinion. Just thought for the $ how could you go wrong.

I enjoy reading these comments. I've never had a reverse flow and wanted one. Didn't know it wouldn't do much good on a smaller unit in your opinion. Just thought for the $ how could you go wrong.
I'd posted elsewhere that in this category, Old Country (lifetime warranty) and Horizon (Davidsons who were OKJ before selling to CharBroil) are where I'd be kicking tires.  Rather have companies who stand behind their products and use higher quality materials and builds:  there's really not a comparison to be drawn vs. other "price point" manufacturers.

I finally got my Highland Reverse Flow on Friday. Put most of it together that night. The rest of my parts came in yesterday. It now has Fireblack gasket on the cook chamber, 1000 degree lavalock gasket between the fire box halves along with on the fire box door. I wrapped some Fireblack gasket around the cap for the hole on the left side of the smoker and on the smoke stack. Locking clamps installed for the door to keep it sealed tight. Rubbed down inside and out with peanut oil. Once I got the dampers position figured out, it held perfect at 225-250. She should be nice and seasoned now.

Last edited:
I am happy this thread has taken off! I should be getting my Highland Reverse flow in May! Have any of you posted mod threads yet? Would love to see. Did it actually come with a charcoal basket like in some of the photos?

I will upload some pix from my computer here in a while, for some reason I can't upload them from mobile. And yes, the charcoal basket did come with it.

I bought my Oklahoma Joe verse flow smoker on Amazon about three weeks ago got it in a couple of days in perfect condition. Assembling it was a breeze. I received it on time and the box was in perfect condition. It was heavier than I expected. The assembly was easy and it looks great. Also, the baffles are thicker than I expected. They are thick coated metal similar to an oven broiler pan. I've had a char griller grill for years that I love for grilling but it doesn't cut it for really smoking barbecue. This is my first venture into a real smoker and I wasn't ready to spend $1000 for a higher end smoker....yet. I did a lot of research on smokers and expected to do some modifications because it is a lower end smoker. I finally got a chance to season it and cook on it this past weekend.
I added the gasket around the doors. I sealed the other gaps with the black RTV silicone, (it looks much better than the red). Seasoning the smoker was easy. I smoked a few racks of ribs and a Boston butt this past weekend. There is plenty of room to do a Boston Butt and 2-3 racks of ribs. It produced the best barbecue and ribs ever! Weather was great with temps from 65-75. I did not have a problem keeping to keep the temperature where I needed it. I had to put wood and a few pieces of lump charcoal on about every 45 min to an hour. The wood is great for the smoke and lump charcoal helps the most in keeping the temperature where I need it.
The fire box paint is holding up well. There is discoloration on the bottom and in the back that is working it's way to the top but that's to be expected. I plan to season the outside of the firebox with vegetable oil next time I cook.
The baffles work excellent! They make for very even heat across the cooking surface. The heat runs along under the baffles and up the left side so I kept food from over the opening on the left and still had plenty of room.
I tried the fire box as a grill last night for some sausages and it worked great also.
I guess I'm just being picky but, I will add a smoker toggle latch to either side of the main door.
I do have a couple of small leaks around the main door but it did not affect my first cook. I am very pleased and cannot wait to cook again.

Another way to spruce up an OKJ without breaking the bank is checking out bbqsmokermods.com 

They have a pull down menu in the upper left and you can select up OKJ.  They have tuning plates and special gaskets devoted OKJ.  I've ordered from this company and I was satisfied with their product.  The water pan was helpful to me because it fit just over my tuning plate and holds about 3 liters of water.  I hope this helps!

i notice you have a lang 36" patio hybrid. Im actually debating on purchasing that exact smoker or getting a tow behind greasy hill or black warrior (unfortunatly the lang tow behinds are not in my budget right now)

I'd say, unless your big on the comp circuit or cooking for the church or little league, getting as much patio as you can is a better bet.  The Lang 36 Hybrid Deluxe Patio was what I could afford and I'm happy with it.  

Even though it's only 4 days in my possession, I'll confess that I'm eyeing other Langs for the future.  For whatever reason, their website doesn't have a picture of the Lang 60 Deluxe Kitchen, even though they make one and even though there's a standard price for it.

I'd say, unless your big on the comp circuit or cooking for the church or little league, getting as much patio as you can is a better bet.  The Lang 36 Hybrid Deluxe Patio was what I could afford and I'm happy with it.  

Even though it's only 4 days in my possession, I'll confess that I'm eyeing other Langs for the future.  For whatever reason, their website doesn't have a picture of the Lang 60 Deluxe Kitchen, even though they make one and even though there's a standard price for it.
how much meat can you get in it? Like racks of ribs and butts? not trying to hijack the thread here just noticed you have the exact smoker im so close to pulling on

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky