Oklahoma Joe 900 Temp Maintenance

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

ninefingers21

Original poster
Mar 2, 2021
I just purchased an Oklahoma Joe 900 Pellet Smoker. Did my first smoke and cooked 5 racks of ribs, which turned out great. However, I had some huge temp variations, while set at 250. Is there any recommendations on how to better regulate temperature or modifications I can do to the smoker to regulate the temp better

I just purchased an Oklahoma Joe 900 Pellet Smoker. Did my first smoke and cooked 5 racks of ribs, which turned out great. However, I had some huge temp variations, while set at 250. Is there any recommendations on how to better regulate temperature or modifications I can do to the smoker to regulate the temp better
I just bought same model. Disappointed to see no replies. What have you experienced since your post in March. Any suggestions. Thanks

There will be swings (especially at startup) on every pellet grill, how much depends on the controller.
Some controllers have settings that can be changed.

I can't speak to your specific pellet smoker, but my initial frustrations with my camp chef revolved around the instructions regarding how high to set the exhaust cone thingamabob. The instructions said 1.5" Camp Chef customer service said that wasn't right, lower it to approximately 3/4. That helped a bit and I just dealt with it til the new controller came out and I upgraded which made a huge difference. So look at adjusting your exhaust and see what that does for you, and hate to say it but a new controller may also be an option. Mine was a camp chef controller, but there are aftermarket options out there.

All that said, don't get too hung up on temp swings unless they're huge. When I first set up my camp chef at 225 I was seeing highs of 290 swing down to 185-190 so I had a big problem with that. The exhaust took it down quite a bit but the controller really changed the game. The original controller was the old Ortech style in 25 degree increments, and the new is PID with 5 degree increments an 10 smoke settings. The higher the smoke setting, the higher the swings but running at 2-3 smoke I stick within 10-15 degrees most days. Also, the higher the temp, you get less smoke but far smaller temp swings. It's just somethign you have to play with and learn like anything else. Keep us posted and lets see some pics of those ribs and future cooks!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky