OKJoe,firebox vent closes

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

sc smoke

Fire Starter
Original poster
May 27, 2013
South Carolina
I did a 'search' for this but didn't get any hits.

The firebox vent on my OKJoe Highland wants to close by itself.  I under stand why but an hoping to find a solution to stop it.

When it starts self closing I'll tighten the screw/nut for the vent and thing are usually fine, thought I sometimes have to re-tighten the nut after opening and closing it during a smoke.

When I shut the smoker down all the expanded metal contracts and I then have to loosen the nut to get the vent to open.  Pretty soon I'm going to strip the Phillips head of the screw.

I've tried adding washers/lock washers and different combinations of both but still have't found a solution. If you guys don't have any suggestions I'm going to OKJoe to see what they have to say.  (I should probably go through them first but am curious what you folks have as a solution).

Thanks for your help

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky