Ok Tequila drinkers. What's your favorite?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Steve H

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Feb 18, 2018
Newark New York
Ok, so. I'm a big Tequila fan. And I have tried many different labels ranging from 10.00 to 125.00 for a 750 ml bottle.
And it is surprising, to me anyway. That often the cheaper brands outshine the $$$ ones.
I'm just curious as to what you prefer and the cost. Oh, I drink tequila straight. So, list your sippers and shooters!
For me. I usual just shoot with fresh lime and course sea salt.
Here are some of the ones I like:
Espolon Reposado 25.00 Actually the blanco is good as well.
Patron Reposado 52.00 Love this stuff. Usually, deadly smooth.
El Jimador Reposado 20.00 Cheap and good.
Don Julio Reposado or blanco 30.00 I've had bottles where it was excellent. Then a bottle that was harsh.
Lunazul Blanco. 20.00 Really like this. A tad harsh. But quickly hits with a nice after flavor of fruit. Hard to find here.
Teremana Reposado 32.00 I have had bad luck trying Star branded booze. But the Rock done a great job with this. A great mix of hit and smooth.

P1070047.JPG

Todays pick!

Best I've had so far is Don Julio 1942. But it's pricey. This was about $125 in Mexico where I picked it up last year. Much higher here.
1641588700258.png

Second best I've ever had was homemade by workers at the Botanical Gardens, just south of Puerto Vallarta. But they only serve it there in the restaurant; they won't sell any bottles.

For margaritas or other mixed drinks, I prefer Cazadores Reposado. About $40 ltr. in WA state, $12 in Mexico.
1641589015277.png

Great thread! I love tequila, but that didn’t develop until my early 40’s. Before then I thought tequila was how nights ended bad..or well but with sporadic memory, depending on “The dice.” I met up with an old Marine buddy in SD who took me to a tequila tasting event that was incredible! That being said, I still rarely drift from beers, most times I try to avoid speaking cursive and beer is something I can regulate better.
All that being said, and I’m very biased to San Diego,
Cutwater Tequila Reposado by Cutwater Spirits is the best tequila ever.

I was at a 7-day seminar in San Diego one year and many of the old town bars and restaurants will have 100+ brands of tequila. We kind of enjoyed playing naïve and would tell the bartenders the names of the few tequilas in Wyoming bars, then asked their opinion... most would set up 4 or 5 glasses with a sip in each one. $5, $7, $10, $15 a shot. Then make a recommendation. Many of the great ones were from Mexico, and I had never heard of the brand. Usually a white tequila in the $7 a shot range stole the show.

Many of the great ones were from Mexico, and I had never heard of the brand. Usually a white tequila in the $7 a shot range stole the show.
San Diego….. I miss it so much. I think Lunazul Blanco fits in that $7shot range. I loved it, I like a tiny bit of grungy harshness with a tequila, not too much, but enough to taste Reckless youth for a moment. That’s a great tequila.

Reactions: Steve H
Have you ever tasted Don Julio blanco? It’s all that. Delicious.

San Diego….. I miss it so much. I think Lunazul Blanco fits in that $7shot range. I loved it, I like a tiny bit of grungy harshness with a tequila, not too much, but enough to taste Reckless youth for a moment. That’s a great tequila.

Reactions: Steve H and bauchjw
Best I've had so far is Don Julio 1942. But it's pricey
That's it! Couldn't find any better so far.... I still have one bottle in my stash... I bought it like 7-8 years ago in Costco when it was only (wow!) $99. Great tequila! Also, about 4 years ago I discovered another (and much cheaper) tequila (also from Costco) - Don Pilar. Only $30 but I highly recommend it.

IMG_3595.jpg

Reactions: Steve H
1641605342266.png

This is what we break out for shots around the pool in the summer time.
A big bottle of Corralejo at Costco costs about $50.
I have a buddy that will fly to Cabo whenever he needs to refill his stash. He drinks the high dollar stuff, $250 to $500 per bottle......I like the $50 Corralejo more than his expensive stuff.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky