Offset Smoker Recommendations

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
What is the largest you should go and still have a single lid. At 3/8th inch thick I just don't know how long the cook chamber could be and still manage a single lid, I would think it would be dang heavy. ??? 24" or maybe 30" diameter. I would like a 30" diameter but would a 36" long cooking chamber make the lid way to heavy at 30" diameter. These may be very stupid questions but I don't know much about firebox size to cooking chamber size for drafting and the heat/smoke transfer needed. What size of cooking chamber would be needed for a brisket and two racks of ribs?

36x30 CC is roughly 23.5sq ft. 3/8” is around 15.5lb per sq dr bringing total pipe weight to around 365lbs.For estimate you can say door is 1/4 of tank or in this case 91lb. Now it will be less as door will not be exactly 1/4 of tank but will get you in ball park. You can use counter weight to help with raising lid

Reactions: Creosote
The trees I cut range in 20 to 24 inch diameter so the heart would is easily large enough to take out as a split on its own. I dropped a 16" white oak yesterday and the heartwood center split out easily and was a good 2.5 to 3" diameter

I didn't do a decent explanation previously. I can't remember the proper names of each section of the tree but the heart is the near dead center section with very little sap in it. The next outer layer is the living, growing section with the vast majority of the sap flow followed by the bark. The bark is the trees surface protection. Because of the lack of sap the heart will dry first, followed by the outer layer. Try to split everything into triangles so you have a knife edge to light. Place the knife edge lightly into contact with the coal base. Some folks worry about the bark but it burns fine if you light the wood first. You can use larger 3" splits if they are properly dried and in triangles.

What is the largest you should go and still have a single lid. At 3/8th inch thick I just don't know how long the cook chamber could be and still manage a single lid, I would think it would be dang heavy. ??? 24" or maybe 30" diameter. I would like a 30" diameter but would a 36" long cooking chamber make the lid way to heavy at 30" diameter. These may be very stupid questions but I don't know much about firebox size to cooking chamber size for drafting and the heat/smoke transfer needed. What size of cooking chamber would be needed for a brisket and two racks of ribs?
I don't know that there is a size limit on a single door and yes it could be very heavy, but I feel sure that most fabricators would build it either way that you would want. Many will offer some sort of lift assist such as counter weights. Another option is the fridge style smoker where the door(s) open like refrigerator doors. As for the firebox size to cook chamber size, the custom builders have it dialed in pretty good, but I think that the opening between the 2 is the most important along with exhaust stack placement and size. daveomak daveomak has a calculator that will explain it all https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t...eady-to-use-rev5-6-19-15.172425/#post_1264161.

CC door  opening height.jpg

I have been rethinking size and believe a 24 inch firebox at 16 to 18" long and a 24" by 48" cooking chamber. I looked at Feldon's guide and the 16" length on the firebox is 100% differential and the 18" length is 112.6% differential if that makes much of a difference. I would think going 48 inches long I might need two lids, any comments.

Is yours 24" or 30" diameter and what diameter and length is your firebox. I called Mr. Bell yesterday and left a message and then emailed him this morning. Something else I am curious about, I see a lot of the smokers with a grease drain, important or not? I had no idea it was this tough just figuring out the size, thickness, firebox to cooking chamber ratio etc. I really don't know how long the firebox should be other than what I saw on Feldon's calculations.

No need to get a thirty inch diameter pit. Heck it just you and your wife from your original message, and yes their is the occasional bigger cook, but it doesn’t sound like you are feeding an army. I think 20-24” is perfect for you. The larger diameter may flow a little better, but look for something well designed from the getgo like a workhorse pit 1957 or 1969 pit and you will have a smaller. They tend to have longer fire boxes.

Mr. Bell got back to me today and what we came up with is a 24 x 48 with a 20 x 20 firebox and made of 3/8th inch steel. After seeing the one TNJake has and Mr. Bell site, "Bell Fabrications" out of Tulsa photos it looks like he puts out a fantastic pit. It has two ports for Thermometers, a probe port, pot warmer, ash dump, firebox cooking grate, two levels of cooking grates, at a very good price. He is 60 days out for finished smokers so I will just sit and be extremely impatient until I get it. I looked at the 1957 and I can get this for half the price plus it's only a 3 hour drive for me to pick it up. I feel like a kid in a candy store right now.

When I ordered it was less than a 2 week wait lol. He's got pretty popular over the last couple years. Congrats on the pit you won't be disappointed. Also he sends build pics to you as he is fabricating

TNJake, Mr. Bell got back with me today and got the baby ordered. He is 60 days out and it's gonna cost me $1200.00 plus tax and that's with me picking it up. He is one heck of a nice guy and we went through everything on what I was looking for and his recommendations and he's got me fixed up. I appreciate you dropping his name to me. If you didn't see the post above we decided on a 24 x 48 with 2 lids and he puts a 20 x 20 firebox on that size with it 3/8th inch thick. I think the only option I had added was the stainless on the handles to keep them cool.

Order you a couple of these
Tel-Tru BQ300 Barbecue Thermometer, 3 inch black dial with zones, 4 inch stem, 100/500 degrees F
The smoker is already tapped and threaded for them

Mine are the glow in the dark version.....10 bucks more
Tel-Tru BQ300 Barbecue Thermometer, 3 inch glow dial with zones, 4 inch stem, 100/500 degrees F

TNJake, Mr. Bell got back with me today and got the baby ordered. He is 60 days out and it's gonna cost me $1200.00 plus tax and that's with me picking it up. He is one heck of a nice guy and we went through everything on what I was looking for and his recommendations and he's got me fixed up. I appreciate you dropping his name to me. If you didn't see the post above we decided on a 24 x 48 with 2 lids and he puts a 20 x 20 firebox on that size with it 3/8th inch thick. I think the only option I had added was the stainless on the handles to keep them cool.
Cool. Looks like you got a good pit at a good price.

Displaced Texan, (TN Jake you can jump in here too) quick question on your 24 x 48. Do you have any smoke loss between the doors when they are closed and/or do you have a probe port on yours. I am having a probe port installed for a thermowork smoke and don't know if it will fit between the edge of the door and the end of the cook chamber or have to go through the end of the cook chamber?

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky