NYD NYS Roast (Heavy Pics)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

tx smoker

Legendary Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Apr 14, 2013
Lago Vista, Texas
Did a belated Christmas dinner on New Years Day (NYD) for a couple of our best friends. I saw a post last week where somebody had gotten some meat from Wild Fork based on a recommendation from SmokinAl SmokinAl I took a look and decided to place a small order. Got a NY Strip roast (NYS) and a whole tenderloin. The idea was to see if I could get a couple of different cuts of decent quality beef at a lower price point than CPB so figured it was worth a shot. Found out that a NY strip was our friend Susan's favorite steak so decided to do the roast.

The meat
020.jpg

Scored the fat cap and seasoned with Jeff's Texas rub
021.jpg

Made some garlic and herb Monkey Bread. This was a first...but not a last!!
019.jpg

The dough after the first proof
022.jpg

Roll the dough out, cut it into squares, dunk in a mixture of Italian herbs (included in the mix) and olive oil then layer into a baking dish to proof again
023.jpg

Meat onto the Santa Maria running hardwood charcoal and mesquite
025.jpg

Put together a batch of scalloped potatoes
026.jpg

45 minutes on each side, pull the roast, and into the SV at 131 degrees.
027.jpg

Monkey Bread after the second proof. You can see it doubled in size again.
030.jpg

Never having made it before, I didn't do a very good job layering it into the pan, but here is the bread out of the oven.
031.jpg

Decided to make a Parmesan & herb cream sauce for dunking the bread into
034.jpg

Wow, this was quick, easy and really tasty
035.jpg

Once again Tracy got the table all dolled up. She loves this time of year so she can use the dining room.
036.jpg

Scalloped potatoes on the grill
037.jpg

4 hours later the roast out of the SV and ready to slice
038.jpg

You just can't go wrong with the SV. The meat got just a bit less pink from the carry over after slicing it.
039.jpg

The spread. Tracy jumped the gun grabbing a chunk of the meat but I'll forgive her :emoji_laughing: Got the drippings from the roast out of the SV bag in the small white bowl and Susan brought a nice salad
041.jpg

My dinner alas....
044.jpg

A nice meal and a great time. Sure is good to be able to share the holidays with a couple of people you're really close with. 2020 has been a real eye-opener in that regard. You really start thinking about who you trust to spend time with and who you don't and it makes you appreciate those even more that you do trust. The only new additions with this meal were the bread and the Parmesan cream sauce. Both were simply fantastic!! I could also see the bread dunked in marinara but the cream sauce fit this meal better. All in all, a very good time was had and we're already planning our next get-together. Looking forward to it!!

This one is a wrap. Happy New Year to all. Have a safe, prosperous, and wonderful year. See y'all on the next one.

Robert

Excellent looking meal Robert! Meat, potatoes, and bread... what more could a person ask for! So how did you think the wildfork beef compared?

Ryan

tenor.gif

Right on Robert that looks great man! Nice color on that meat. The whole meal looks fantastic but the real star of that show might be that bread. Dayum that looks good!

What an excellent way to start the new year with good food and good friends! It’s been awhile since I’ve had monkey bread (the dessert variety) but I’m gonna try some of the herbed stuff!

A safe, happy and prosperous New Year to you and Tracy as well!

What's not to love about that cook Robert, everything is over the fence out of the park perfect, big Like! Women truly do love to play with their china, silverware, and glasses during the holiday season, I know Jan does just like Tracy. Unfortunately for this year, we trust no one, folks can have the virus and show no symptoms, but still spread it. We'll be getting vaccinated pretty darned soon. RAY

Nice spread . I've been baking bread in the 360 air fryer .
That beef looks good even a bit past .

The whole spread start to finish looks amazing Robert! I bet that Monkey bread was great. My wife used to make a dessert version of it with cinnamon, butter and brown sugar. It was amazing.

Excellent looking meal Robert! Meat, potatoes, and bread... what more could a person ask for! So how did you think the wildfork beef compared?

Thanks so much Ryan for the kind words. Was a nice time and a nice meal but we were missing gravy :emoji_astonished: Scalloped taters and gravy just wasn't gonna cut it. As far as the comparison goes, the jury is still out awaiting the verdict on the tenderloin. I'll let you know.

Robert

Reactions: Brokenhandle
That meal is amazing Robert. As always! You did a wonderful job, and that Roast is perfect. How did you find the Quality from Wild Fork? I loved the Tri Tip I posted last week. Now thinking what to try next. Happy New Year to you and yours as well.

Looks Outstanding, Robert!!
Tasty looking Beef!!
I made a couple NY Strip Roasts exactly like my Prime Ribs, and they came out Great.
Yet the NY Strip Steaks I get & make on the Grill are usually tough.

Like jcam222 jcam222 & xray xray , I've had Monkey Bread a few times, but it was more of a Cinnamon Bun type of Treat, that you pulled apart a piece at a time with your fingers.
One of my Sisters made it.
Nice Job!
Like.

Bear

Reactions: xray and jcam222
Thats one heck of a meal Robert ! Looks dang good! Ive never had a Savory monkey bread but I think thats going to change soon! Ivy always makes the dessert style. Not sure how she does it but she always rolls about 1" balls and then puts them in a bunt pan. I'm not a big dessert person so the ones you have there are calling my name! Beef looks fantastic! As do the rest of the sides. Glad you got to spend time with some good friends over a great meal!

Killer meal there. Everything looks awesome. I keep seeing Wild Fork ads but haven’t decided whether or not to pull the trigger yet......

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky