Now this is a Fat Pocket

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

GaryHibbert

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
My old hound, Roxy, is getting old—she turned 12 in January. Like a lot of old dogs, she’s getting “lumpy”. According to the vet, these lumps on her body are actually fat pockets. For a couple of years now, she’s had one on the side of her chest, under the left front leg. It continued to get larger, and harder. We asked the vet about it, and he said that it posed no threat to her, unless it started to interfere with her breathing or mobility.

Last week, Miss Linda took her in, as she had an open, bleeding growth on her butt. Turned out it was a benign tumor that had burst. So Linda booked her in for surgery. After examining her, the vet wanted to remove the growth under her foreleg too. We thought that was a great idea, as we had been wanting it removed. So last Tuesday Roxy went under the knife.

Now we knew the growth under her leg was real big and was affecting her mobility, but the reality is amazing:
Roxy 1a.jpg

The weight is in KG, so that's 3.59 pounds:
Roxy 2.jpg

All stitched up:
Roxy 3.jpeg

Home again, but still a but no a happy camper. She’s recovering nicely, and getting the stitches removed tomorrow:
Roxy 4.jpeg

So be sure to keep an eye on any fat pockets that show up on your dog.

Gary

Hey Gary that’s great that you decided to have it removed. I’m sure she will feel a lot better now that it’s gone. I would hate to know how much per pound you paid for it though. 😂

Hope she feels better soon!
One of our guys (Toby) had developed several small ones as he got older but never large enough to warrant surgery. He passed before they did ... guess a somewhat depressing silver lining.

Yikes that’s one big ass fatty tumor!! The picture of it on the scale looks like someone got a top round roast to make pastrami :emoji_anguished:

I hope Roxy recovers well. Poor girl.

Our Weimaraner has a few small ones on her body. The biggest one is on her ribcage but it seems to shrink when she loses weight.

That's insane . My dog has one on her too . Don't seem to bother her . Makes you wonder though .
Roxy's gonna be like a young pup now .

Hope she feels better soon!
One of our guys (Toby) had developed several small ones as he got older but never large enough to warrant surgery. He passed before they did ... guess a somewhat depressing silver lining.
Yikes that’s one big ass fatty tumor!! The picture of it on the scale looks like someone got a top round roast to make pastrami :emoji_anguished:
I hope Roxy recovers well. Poor girl.
Our Weimaraner has a few small ones on her body. The biggest one is on her ribcage but it seems to shrink when she loses weight.
That's insane . My dog has one on her too . Don't seem to bother her . Makes you wonder though .
Roxy's gonna be like a young pup now .
Poor baby! Hopefully she'll recover well and feel better afterwards.
Jim
Hey Gary, I'll bet she feels better soon... You did her a favor....

Lumps on an old dog are common. So when she started getting them we weren't real concerned. I've been trying to get that on removed for a long time, but because of her age, the vet said we should hold off as long as possible before we had to put her under anesthetic.
He was going to remove a few more at the same time, but this one took so long that he wanted to get her off the anesthetic. Miss Linda will be discussing how long we should wait before booking her in again. There are a few more I want gone.
The surgery has totally rejuvenated Roxy--she acts and moves like she's years younger.
Gary

Reactions: JLeonard
Wow! That is a big one. Hoped ya named it! I'm sure Roxy will give ya a big lick when she gets feeling better

Holy Crap! That had to be hard on the dog. I'm so glad to hear your girl is ok.
My first dog, after we got married, developed lumps at 10 years old. One day one burst and the vet removed it. Two weeks later two more broke open and we had them removed. A week later four more broke open. The Vet recommended we put her down as the surgical expense was going to increase as they continued to surface. I really miss that girl. Losing herwas especially hard on my three young daughters....JJ

• Sad
Reactions: GaryHibbert
Gary, so glad they were able to remove that enormous thing. Wow. Our older dogs have smaller , much smaller ones, and our Vet also said no worries, etc. I agree, she'll seem years younger now.

Glad it turned out well for all of you! Bright side is she didn't have to wear the cone of shame!

Ryan

Best wishes on a speedy and full recovery!! My first lab started getting lumpy too...but we lost him before they were an issue. this is a good reminder to keep an eye on the lumps - that one they removed is huge!

• Sad
Reactions: GaryHibbert
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky