Novice need advice on first pellet smoker purchase

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Jon, Wow... I’m just now reading your thread and posting.. I would’ve chime in to help you sooner, but your thread got highjack by others and kinda went off the rails... I’m sure some were just trying to help... I would use the PB Austin XL Owners Manual as a reference guide as it’s more up to date and the procedures will work the same for your PB 700S. https://images.pitboss-grills.com/catalog/manuel/75953_20180205.pdf
Also, if You ever have questions or issues about your grill, it’s always best to seek the input and knowledge from those that actually have your type and brand of Pellet Grill. Every Brand of Pellet Grill is different, so their procedures will be different. I hope You got everything sorted out with your PB 700S with it’s start up procedures, it’s not difficult, but the literature sometimes can be confusing. And a word from the wise... Never take short cuts in the proper operation and understanding of your grill... I’m not saying You did... Just wise words for any new or potential Pellet Grill Owners.

PB Austin XL in SoCal and Always... Semper Fi

Last edited:
OP here, and yes, I can reach the same conclusion - upon reading all of this, I am confident that it's probably of little consequence that I bought a pellet grill without a PID controller. I (finally) did my first smoke on it last night (salmon, which I will discuss in another thread), and temps seemed well controlled (swings in the range of +/- 15 F, with maybe some very brief excursions to +/- 20 F, but I don't have a temperature logging thermo to catch these).

I want to discuss my initial burn-off process and frustration with it, and ask for your opinions. I read the instruction manual several times with regard to the hopper priming procedure and initial burn-off. They are discussed in the manual as separate procedures, and the manual did not make it clear that you must absolutely completely shut down the grill after priming and restart it prior to burn off or cooking. It was not clear that the igniter rod doesn't continue to operate, so I turned the temp control up immediately after priming, which led to an unburned pile of pellets in the burn pot. I also did not realize that this amount of unburned pellets in the burn pot was abnormal, so when I finally figured out that the grill was not heating up, and shut it down and restarted, I did not clear the unburned pellets from the burn pot. The level of unburned pellets in the burn pot was just about at the top of the auger tube, definitely below the top level of ventilation holes in the burn pot (image below). I estimate that the burn pot was maybe 1/3 full of unburned pellets when I restarted the grill. This led to a big flare up. By this time I had someone from Pit Boss customer service on the phone, and he told me to just turn the controller back to the "smoke" setting and wait for the fire to die down with the grill lid open, which I did (it took some time). I then closed the lid and completed the burn off procedure.

[EDIT: I am wishing that I had just unplugged the grill to prevent the fan from stoking the file, and removed the grates and deflector using my pit gloves. The customer service rep got on the line with me just as thick white smoke began to billow from the grill. I believe I could have more gracefully salvaged the situation this way.]

After the burn off, I removed all the elements from the inside of the cooking barrel, and noticed that paint had burned off from the portion of the auger tube housing immediately around the burn pot. Please see the included pictures. The burn pot is also discolored and there is a section of the remaining paint on the auger tube housing that is discolored. Is this normal, or has the grill been damaged during the burn off process? I am concerned that the missing paint may lead to rust, and that there may be more missing paint where I cannot see it, such as inside the auger tube housing or on the bottom of the cooking barrel where I cannot see it or treat it to prevent rust. I am also concerned that the high heat may have damaged some components of the grill. What do you think.

View media item 554666
View media item 554667
I must say, I am very frustrated by this ordeal and by the poor instructions provided by Pit Boss that led to potentially dangerous and damaging conditions for the burn-off procedure. I had hoped to baby this equipment to make it last a long time and perform it's best, and now it seems as if it may be damaged before I have even used it.

~ Jon
Here’s another good read to help You with your PB 700S... Good luck

https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/threads/pit-boss-820-issues.279287/

PB Austin XL in SoCal and Always... Semper Fi

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky