novice asking a couple questions

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

et1ssgmiller

Original poster
Aug 19, 2006
Hi, I have been smoking with charcoal for about 10 years now, and I've decided to make the switch to electric. The local Tractor Supply had the Mustang Electric Smoker on sale for $118 so I decided to take the plunge. Here are some questions, obviously made in China, so the instructions are in broken English and not very good. I'm assuming no need for any lava rocks around the bottom of the smoker. Also, when I have the unit loaded up, right now there is a 2 lb. meatloaf smoking, the temp drops from the 250 starting point, now to a max of around 200 as registered on the thermometer. The thermometer is above the meatloaf, which is on a cookie sheet, and it takes up most of the room on one of the lower racks. Should the smoker be able to achieve a higher temp, ( I'm using the short extension cords and my generator to power the smoker ), or is the majority of the heat in the bottom of the smoker, and I'm simply seeing a lower temp because the meatloaf is soaking up most of the heat? Any other hints than anyone can give me on electric smoking would be appreciated!! Thanks in advance....et1ssgmiller

What type of thermometer are you using. If it is the one that comes made on the smoker, it probably is not very accurate. If you have any type of probe thermostat, drop it through your exhaust vent and check the temp that way. Also if the cookie sheet is blocking the air flow where the thermometer is located it could be pretty much a dead zone there.

I don't use electric smokers, so other than that I don't know how much help I can be.

thanks for the advice, the thermometer is right over the meat loaf pan, so yea, it probably is in a dead zone, maybe I'd better check through the vent like you recommend.............and the thermometer is a step up from the one that came with the unit, that one only went to 220, the one I bought today goes to 550.

Moving the probe did the trick, I was at 215. I think the next step is to purchase one of those digital remote probes. I've since smoked some beef jerky which turned out great! Thanks for the advice

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky