Nothing special, just my almost done smoked turkey.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

David Halcomb

Smoke Blower
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Nov 12, 2017
My mouth is watering, can't wait......
SMOKING TURKEY.jpg

Looks delicious.
What’s the final IT?

I went 162 deep inside, A turkey is a tough smoke, legs and outer areas were 170. All it took was forgetting about it for a few minutes extra while I cooked inside the house. The brine is so important, it was juicy regardless.

Reactions: bauchjw
I went 162 deep inside, A turkey is a tough smoke, legs and outer areas were 170. All it took was forgetting about it for a few minutes extra while I cooked inside the house. The brine is so important, it was juicy regardless.
Spatchcocking helps even and speed up the cook. It’s also preferred that the leg and thigh are at a higher temp than the breast. Optimally finish temp on the breast (including temp rise while resting) is 165 while on the leg and thigh you want 175F, it can even handle a little higher on the leg and thigh. The dark meat is much more tender at that higher temp.

Reactions: David Halcomb
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky