Not sure how much meat i need.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

will work 4 bbq

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Jun 2, 2012
FEMA REGION 9 (california)
Hey there fellow smoke warriors. So as my title states im not sure how much meat i need. We are doing a small party for my son's birthday and my wife wants me to Bbq. Never done a cook for such a large crowd (25-30 people). She wants Ribs and brisket. I already have 3 St.Louis racks and one beef rack in the freezer. I was just gonna get a brisket flat plus all the sides i thought that would be enough now im not so sure. So i figured i'd ask. Thanks in advance for any help.

A 15-20 pound brisket green weight and figure 2 bones per person on St. Louis ribs. Figure plenty of sides and you should be good with not much meat leftover.

If I'm entertaining and doing it with food involved, I'm making damned sure no one doesn't get what they want and plenty of it.
Better to have leftovers than dismayed guests.
And some guests love a BBQ doggy bag.
That and I'm a leftovers chow-hound... Woof!

I'm gonna say you want to be able to serve at least four bones of the ribs per person and/or a 1/4lb of brisket.
So I'd be getting five more racks of St. Louis ribs.

Don't do brisket flats, too easy to screw up and then be short, full packers are much more forgiving.
You're going to lose at least a third of the precooked brisket weight, so you need a minimum of 7.5lbs of cooked brisket.
I'd get two 15-20lb full packer briskets and after trimming and cooking you should be good to go.

Put the beef ribs back in the freezer if you don't have enough for everyone.

Time, leave yourself lots of time, time to prep, smoke, holding time for the briskets and of course time with guests.
I'd cook the meats the day before, wrap un-sliced in foil and butcher paper and then reheat in the smoker the day of.
Push a little more smoke than TBS to get everybody's appetites peaked, then pull slice and serve.

You could also require RSVP and have guests select their meat preference in advance, easy to do now via email and texts.
This can really be a big help in knowing how much of what to prepare.

This calculator may give you some help.
Al

Attachments

• CateringV306 copy.xlsx
    42.4 KB · Views: 15
That's why i love this forum. Friendly and helpful. Decided to pick up couple more racks of ribs and a couple whole chickens for beer can chicken. Gonna be a busy couple of days prepping and cooking. I've never done so much meat in my pitboss. Will that affect the cooking times having more meat in the smoker?

Reactions: chilerelleno
That's why i love this forum. Friendly and helpful. Decided to pick up couple more racks of ribs and a couple whole chickens for beer can chicken. Gonna be a busy couple of days prepping and cooking. I've never done so much meat in my pitboss. Will that affect the cooking times having more meat in the smoker?

Chile has you about right on the meats. A large pork butt wouldn't be a bad thing in case you have that one or five people that don't like brisket. I to would cook ahead of time and reheat sure takes a lot of pressure off and really can't tell the difference.
As for the amount of meat in the smoker the only extra time will be when you first put the meat in it will take longer to get up to temp because of the mass of cold meat. It's usually not enough extra time to even worry about it but if you want you can always run the smoker up about 50 degrees higher than you want then back it back down to what you want after the first 20-30 minutes.
Good luck and don't forget the pics

Chile has you about right on the meats. A large pork butt wouldn't be a bad thing in case you have that one or five people that don't like brisket. I to would cook ahead of time and reheat sure takes a lot of pressure off and really can't tell the difference.
As for the amount of meat in the smoker the only extra time will be when you first put the meat in it will take longer to get up to temp because of the mass of cold meat. It's usually not enough extra time to even worry about it but if you want you can always run the smoker up about 50 degrees higher than you want then back it back down to what you want after the first 20-30 minutes.
Good luck and don't forget the pics
Yea i will for sure make the brisket and pork shoulder the day before, the ribs will go in the day of. You better believe im gonna be taking some pictures. Gonna have to set up a photo booth, but not for the guests just the meats.

• Haha
Depending on how you do your ribs you may be able to do them ahead as well. If you do something like the 3-2-1 then do the 3-2 then drain most or all of the liquid out of them and do the final 1 hour the day of.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky