Noob MES 140G owner overwhelmed - mods sticky?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Boslaw

Original poster
Jun 22, 2020
The kids bought me a MES 140G for Father's Day. I started browsing here for tips and instantly got overwhelmed. Mailbox mod? Popcorn Mod? PID? Not really sure to begin. Is there some sort of sticky that describes the various mods I should be considering (and why I would want to mod my brand new smoker)? The smoker size (40") is much more than I'll ever need but the $ deal was apparently too good to pass (says the wife) so I think my first mod will have to be some sort of rolling cart.

Thanks for any help, pointers, links.

Season it up and then do a cook and see what you think and what you might want to do. I think the best thing you can do is go the AMNPS pellet tray route. Much easier than putting chips in that crappy dumper every 45 minutes. Grab a good remote thermometer too! Congrats on the present and welcome to the addiction!

What he said, AMNPS tray and pellets and a good remote thermo (two or more probes is good). Then get to cooking. Later on you can decide whether further mods are right for you.
I am all in with the mailbox and PID controller but I got there gradually.

I can only second what everyone else has already said.An A-MAZE-N tray or tube and dual probe therm are a great way to start.All the other stuff can come later like Braz said.

I'm with the others but for now I would just fire it up, season it and start smoking using the chip loader and see how it works, but i definitely would get a independent thermometer lots of the factory thermometers are known to be off.

Awesome, thanks everyone. I'm on the hunt for a good dual probe thermometer. The last one I had crapped out after a few uses.

I'm with the others but for now I would just fire it up, season it and start smoking using the chip loader and see how it works, but i definitely would get a independent thermometer lots of the factory thermometers are known to be off.

Everything already said is bang on. I got my MES 30 about 5 or 6 years ago for Father's Day too, and spent the first year or so using the chip loader and had so excellent meals. Eventually, I got tired of reloading the chip tray every 20 mins and switched to the AMNPS pellet tray for convenience and a wider variety of available wood types. If and when you decide to get the AMNPS, try using it inside the MES for the first while. A lot of people find it works great like that, but not for me--I couldn't keep it lit, so I did the mailbox mod (just do a search here for some details).
Smokerjim mentioned that a lot of factory therms are known to be off. Now that's an understatement. LOL. Its rare to find a MES that has an accurate cook temp or meat therm Definitely get a 2 or more prong digital therm.
There are only 3 things I would add.
1) pick up an inexpensive instant read therm so you can check the temp in different areas of the meat.
2) don't add water to the water bowl--extra moisture is NOT needed when using a MES. I just filled mine with sand and tinfoiled it over to use as a heat sink.
3) now this isn't a mod, but ALWAYS leave the top vent wide open. That will allow the smoke to continually flow out of the MES and help introduce fresh smoke--stale smoke doesn't taste very good.
If you come up with more questions (and believe me you will) don't hesitate to ask. Almost every member here started out smoking without a clue how to do it.

Gary

I personally like the tube over the tray to use inside the smoker. I could never get tray to stay lit and never had a problem with the tube . I do like the tray with dust for the mailbox. Those MES turn out great food and pretty much set and forget once going. Like others said remote thermometer. Don't go by what it says.

I personally like the tube over the tray to use inside the smoker. I could never get tray to stay lit and never had a problem with the tube .

This was the case for me also.Once I modded the tube with u-bolts and started burning ground/crushed pellets in the tube I never looked back.

Awesome, thanks everyone for the helpful tips. I have a smoke-x dual probe thermometer and an A-MAZE-N tube on order with some pellets (changing wood every 20 min didn't sound like fun). Looking forward to my first cook this weekend.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky