Noob in the Upstate of South Carolina....

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

blacknosecorey

Fire Starter
Original poster
Nov 8, 2010
Greer, SC
I'm Corey.  I really enjoy cooking and especially grilling.  I have done some smoking on a brinkman but I want to step up.  I'm currently looking for a new smoker and hope that I get one in hand before Thanksgiving.  I'd also like to get the 5 day eCourse but didn't see where to sign up so if any of you can point me in the right direction I would appreciate it.

Howdy Corey and welcome to SMF!!!

Since i know about smoking but am a computer moron i'll have to let someone else give you the link to the 5 day e course.

Hi Corey, Welcome to SMF, Glad to have you with us.

This is the place to learn, lots of good info and helpful friendly Members.

For those of you new to Smoking, be sure to check out Jeff's 5 Day Smoking Basics eCourse.

Click Here it's "FREE" ... 5 Day eCourseE

As for a new smoker, I highly recommend the New SS MES 40" with the wheels and remote.   You sure won't regret it once you try one...

Corey welcome to SMF glad you joined us. MES stands for Masterbuilt Electric Smoker. What kind of smoker are you looking for Electric, Propane, or Wood?

I'd prefer a wood smoker to start.  I have been looking at this smoker for a little while.  It's a very heavy unit and is in my current price range.  I'm open to suggestions.

Actually I think that I have changed my mind.  There's a masterbuilt electric smoker here for about 175.00 that has great reviews.  Maybe that is the place to start.

Hey Corey!  Let me give you a big ole Upstate SC Welcome!  Nice to have another Carolina boy on here. 

As for the smokers, I first learned on a large reverse flow, meaning it has a big firebox on one side and the smoke/heat travels under the food then over the food and back out of the pit on the same side as the firebox.  Now I use a UDS, which is a smoker made out of a 55 gallon drum.  As long as you're smoking meat, you can't go wrong with your first pit!

Best of luck, maybe we'll run into each other one day.

GO COCKS!

I really like tending a fire but right now don't have funds to buy anything that will work for both the small AND larger jobs.  Your 55G smoker, did you make that yourself?

ALAS, I did not build it.  A guy out of Charleston sells them (for any team) for about $175.  Everyone I talked to said that'd be worth it to not have to build myself.  It definitely takes some practice as it's not like a typical smoker, but it is incredibly effecient.  I can get about a 1/3 of a 12-14 lb bag of charcoal to cook about 7-8 hours or more.  I have yet to try a butt on it, but will soon.  I mostly use it for tailgating down at Williams Brice and let me tell you, it sure does get some compliments!

I hear ya on the budget man, this was by far the cheapest way for me to get a charcoal/wood smoker.

Hello, and welcome to the SMF,. I see that Paul has given you a link to the 5 day Ecourse.It's all good my friend.

icon_cool.gif

First off Welcome Corey to SMF. You'll like it here for there are alot of really good folks here that would just love to help you with just about anything to do with smoking. Now there are alot of proven recipes for some amazing things here too. So if you need sign up for the E-Course it's free and it will give you the basics of smoking and some good methods to use also. So the next big thing for you to do is go out and get you something to smoke and if you happen to have any questions just post it here and we will be happy to answer them for you.

Welcome To Your New Addiction          

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky