No wrap ribs. An experiment

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

JBinGB

Fire Starter
Original poster
Aug 24, 2020
This weekend experimented with some ribs. In the past, I was a believer in the foil wrapped with brown sugar and honey. Yesterday, out of sheer laziness of not going to the store to buy more foil, i decided to give unwrapped a try again. For the record, I have tried unwrapped in the past but usually got a crispy, dry, tough layer on the outside.

Started off with Kosmos Q honey chipotle rub on 3 racks of baby backs.
Smoker going with hickory about 225.

I let them go for about 6 hours unwrapped, and used a local bbq sauce about the last hour, and tried to stay in the 225-250 range.

I got a beautiful color on them, and i must say i was really able to taste the rub on this batch. I dont know if previously the honey and brown sugar in the wrap overpowered the rub, but it was flavorful this time.

What surprised me the most was the moisture content. I didnt notice a dramatic difference between wrapped vs unwrapped, but the unwrapped definitely had a better texture for the bark.

I may stick with my new formula of low and slow vs 275 and wrapped after a few hours

Attachments

• IMG_20210418_122447679.jpg
    IMG_20210418_122447679.jpg
    239.6 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_20210418_143133914.jpg
    IMG_20210418_143133914.jpg
    239.6 KB · Views: 59
  • IMG_20210418_181434689.jpg
    IMG_20210418_181434689.jpg
    144.5 KB · Views: 59
This weekend experimented with some ribs. In the past, I was a believer in the foil wrapped with brown sugar and honey. Yesterday, out of sheer laziness of not going to the store to buy more foil, i decided to give unwrapped a try again. For the record, I have tried unwrapped in the past but usually got a crispy, dry, tough layer on the outside.

Started off with Kosmos Q honey chipotle rub on 3 racks of baby backs.
Smoker going with hickory about 225.

I let them go for about 6 hours unwrapped, and used a local bbq sauce about the last hour, and tried to stay in the 225-250 range.

I got a beautiful color on them, and i must say i was really able to taste the rub on this batch. I dont know if previously the honey and brown sugar in the wrap overpowered the rub, but it was flavorful this time.

What surprised me the most was the moisture content. I didnt notice a dramatic difference between wrapped vs unwrapped, but the unwrapped definitely had a better texture for the bark.

I may stick with my new formula of low and slow vs 275 and wrapped after a few hours
Look good! I actually did my first no wraps recently as well and will not go back! What was the local sauce? Jimmy j's?

Nice man! The Lady and I come to an a agreement on the hot! It is good stuff no matter the heat you choose!

It is definitely my go to sauce. I would agree with you on the flavor, except i tried the mild one once and found it missing something. I think he leaves the peppers out of the mild. Medium is definitely my go too if i need a break from the heat.

Ribs look great! Funny how a little bit of laziness sometimes pays off! I haven't wrapped for some time either, don't remove the membrane anymore. Throw them on and done. Great job!

Ryan

Good looking ribs. I tried unwrapped spares this weekend but did not get tender. Ran 225. I sprayed with apple juice every 30 minutes which might of been the problem. Maybe cooling them off each time. After 7 hours pulled. Ended up in the pressure cooker next day which got the job done.

Reactions: BucketBack and PPG1
I must try this, between not having to wrap them and my smoker having a PID. I don't even know if I can consider what I'd be doing as BBQ'ing lol. This method with PID is like a low and slow version of a microwave. Toss it on and it's done 5-6 hours later.

Looks great JB I have always been a no wrapper and the name of game is low and slow. I don't go over 225 unless I'm not paying attention but will quickly adjust if I do. I do however still remove the membrane.

Warren

Last edited:
Ribs look great! Funny how a little bit of laziness sometimes pays off! I haven't wrapped for some time either, don't remove the membrane anymore. Throw them on and done. Great job!

Ryan
I'm in this camp, too. I've also moved away from baby back ribs and now it's spare ribs only, preferably St. Louis style.

Reactions: sawhorseray
This weekend I did up 3 racks of Baby Backs. This was the first time I did BB's. 3-2-1
225 on MBG. I did something wrong because I was going for fall off the bone and missed my mark by a mile. They were tasty but tough.

Ryan

Someday i might get the courage to not pull the membrane off, but i ate a local joint in my area once that left the membrane on and I was not a fan. It was a kinda off putting. I have seen people score it, which i may try before going as far to completely leave it on

Reactions: HalfSmoked
Someday i might get the courage to not pull the membrane off, but i ate a local joint in my area once that left the membrane on and I was not a fan. It was a kinda off putting. I have seen people score it, which i may try before going as far to completely leave it on

Yup if I want crunchy I will eat potato chips.

Warren

This weekend I did up 3 racks of Baby Backs. This was the first time I did BB's. 3-2-1
225 on MBG. I did something wrong because I was going for fall off the bone and missed my mark by a mile. They were tasty but tough.

I tried the 3-2-1 method once and i was not a fan. The more meat i smoke, the more i realize that the meat needs to tell me when its done and not the clock.

I know the 3-2-1 method works for some people, but my results were close to yours. They came out tough.

Reactions: JC in GB
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky