Ninja Foodie - Eggs

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Braz

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Jun 25, 2017
Indiana
I puled the last egg out of the Amish mustard pickled egg jar last week so I needed to hard boil a couple dozen eggs and get them into the brine. I re-use the brine for at least a couple batches of eggs.
My usual method of boiling eggs is pretty simple, put eggs in a big pot and cover with water, put on the stove and bring it to a full rolling boil. As soon as it gets to full boil cut the heat and set the timer for six minutes. Then drain the water and replace it with cold water. Peel the eggs in the water, which will be sort of lukewarm from the heat of the eggs.
But last week my wife bought a Ninja Foodie pressure cooker gizmo and it seemed to me that it might be fun to try hard boiling eggs in the thing.
The internet recommended a 5-5-5 method, five minutes cooking, five minutes of resting under pressure and five minutes in an ice water bath. That just seemed like too much cooking for the way I like my eggs. We're making eggs here, not Wham-o Super Balls (remember those?). So I decided to go for two minutes of cook time at Hi pressure (the cooker needs to come up to steam temp so the cooking actually starts before the timer starts). Then I let it rest under pressure for nine minutes before putting them in a pot of cold water and peeling them in the water.
This turned out really well. The eggs came out perfectly cooked and were the easiest to peel I have ever experienced.

In the Foodie with 1.5 cups of water in the bottom.
DSC_0245.jpg

Setting the time for two minutes.
DSC_0238.jpg

In the cold water, ready to peel.
DSC_0248.jpg

And finally into the pickle jar for a little rest in the refrigerator.
DSC_0249.jpg

Great post.

You stove cook eggs way different than me.
I bring to just a boil, cover, remove from heat and rest for 12 minutes in hot water. Then the arctic plunge until chilled.

I haven't pressure cooked. (I think we have 2 or 3 of them, too.)
My mother used it a lot for soup bones, boiled dinner, and porcupine meatballs.
She never passed the skill to me.

It reads as something you're going to use more and more in the future?

Wham-o Super Balls
Oh that really dates us and many others.
To the pups, just give it a search and find what it is and why it got pulled from the market.

They look very good. I just picked up a few dozen from my farmer mate, might do batch.

i use an automatic egg cooker, so easy.

C2286914-8402-4B14-B6B3-074AC8A2FEE5.jpeg

I do the 5-5-5 method. And they come out fine for me. No signs of over cooking. But, I was thinking about doing a 4-5-5. And they do peel much easier. I believe that is due to them being steamed.

Which gave me an idea to do a batch. And use that fantastic spicy vinegar. But I only have 1/2 dozen eggs in the house. So that will wait until we going shopping in a bit.

Here's a longer than necessary article by Kenji Lopez Alt on his findings about hard boiling eggs for proper doneness and peelability. Bottom line is he likes steaming them but does not think pressure cooking has any advantage over just steaming them in a traditional pot.

Based on my first try, I like the pressure pot method. They just seemed to slip out of the shells when peeling. Let us know your methods and results if you try it.

Thanks Braz
Keep reporting on what you learn from repeat cooks.

I've read a number of articles from J. Kenji Lopez-Alt
Always good information, but as usual stops short of guidelines.
He leaves it up to the reader finish the job.

I'm not convinced there is single perfect method for cooking eggs.
I just hope someone can find a method that works for them.

Nice job Braz, looks like they are gonna be good!

Like!

Oh I remember those things alright and yes we were lucky they didn't do any real damage. Like this little stunt.

"In the late 1960s, Wham-O made a giant Super Ball roughly the size of a bowling ball as a promotional stunt. It fell from the 23rd story window (some reports say the roof) of an Australian hotel and destroyed a parked convertible car on the second bounce " :emoji_astonished:

John

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky