Newest Member :)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

huskerthor

Original poster
Oct 12, 2010
Omaha, NE
I am picking up my new smoker tomorrow morning at Bass Pro.  It is the Masterbuilt 30" Electric Smoker model #20070210, I think you guys call it an MES if I'm not mistaken.

I was hoping you guys could give me some insight on these smokers.  I have been looking in your forums and I have only seen 1 review on this particular model. I just want to make sure that for the price (which is pretty low compared to some that I have seen, sheesh) that I will like what I get or is there another smoker I should be looing at.   I'm NEW to this smoking thing and can't wait to give it a try myself.

The MES is a great little unit. i have the 40" and wouldn't trade it for anything.

When you want an easy relaxing smoke, it's the ticket.

I have had a charcoal smoker and am ordering a stick burner this week.

I can produce great smoked meat on the MES but it still doesn't taste the same as wood /Charcoal fired smoked meat.

Welcome to SMF glad you joined us. Congrats on the new smoker purchase. The first smoker is a tough decision but don't worry most of us just have to have more than one once we've been smoking awhile
biggrin.gif
 I would suggest signing up for Jeff's 5 Day Ecourse its free and contains some great info. You'll also find lots of good info and some great recipes here. Have fun and happy smoking

I can produce great smoked meat on the MES but it still doesn't taste the same as wood /Charcoal fired smoked meat.
I think that I have read, you can put 1 or 2 pieces of charcoal in the smoke box for that flavor, and it gives the smoke ring?

What is the "stick burner" you mentioned?

Welcome to the SMF. Glad to have you here. Lots of good folks, great recipes and knowledge. Looking forward to your first qview.

Welcome to SMF, Glad to have you with us.

This is the place to learn, lots of good info and helpful friendly Members.

For those of you new to Smoking, be sure to check out Jeff's 5 Day Smoking Basics eCourse.

Click Here it's "FREE" ... 5 Day eCourseE

I think that I have read, you can put 1 or 2 pieces of charcoal in the smoke box for that flavor, and it gives the smoke ring?

What is the "stick burner" you mentioned?
You get plenty of smokey flavor from the chips w/ the MES. The smoke ring is all most non existant. I have been told that adding a couple of lit coals to the chip box helps w/ the smoke ring but have never tried it . You also don't get a heavy bark when using the mes,The high moisture content inside the box

seems to inhibit the bark from forming . i ahve seen one post where the person did not use water in the pan and used sand and did get a better bark on their smokes.

A smoke ring is all show. If you are entering it in competition you should strive to get it, but if you are just wanting to enjoy great tasting smoked food, I wouldn't worry about a smoke ring.

That's just my opinion though,

Bear

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky