Newbie to Dutch Ovens

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

teeotee

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Feb 18, 2008
North Central Iowa
Ok so what's a good first cook in one of these DOs. One of my friendsd parents use thiers a lot. Then wife got me one for xmas but i haven't gotten around to using it yet. Think it's a 12" but will check when i get home.

I'm yet to season it but thinking i should really try playing with it soon before summer is in full swing.

Ok, hadn't thought of anything that simple
icon_smile.gif
. Thanks goat. Guess that would help season more as well huh?

Maybe breakfast will come from the do this weekend.

I'm thinking thats why he suggested bacon-maybe a few batches-wipe it all around-includeing the lid.never soak and never use tomato based food till Well seasoned-maybe google seasoning cast? good luck

I've found that even the factory seasoned cast iron pieces need a little bit more. I rinse them good and then heat them to 500 for an hour and then let them cool. It carbonizes them more.

An easy cook would be to pour in some olive oil and heat with while you chop some taters, add the taters to the hot oil, toss them in the oil, and then bake till done seasoning to taste.

Thanks for info everyone and for the links allen, have them checked them both out, i can see me making the mountain man breakfast once i have this thing seasoned
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif

My cgsp has the cast iron grates which are well seasoned now and i just love cooking on them. Will get onto google soon as well just to see what else i can find.

Teetotee
I've done five or six this last year. I just wash out the wax with hot water and soap. Put them in the oven at 200 degrees in the oven for about 15 min the take them out wipe down with criscoe or lard. heat oven to 425 degrees and let bake for 1 hour and let cool in the oven. Then repeat the lard and 425 degree oven three times. Cook anything you want to. A dump cobbler is the easiest thing. dump a can of peaches in your pot then dump a cheap cake mix in and spread it out (do not mix it). then put some butter pats around top with some sugar and cinnamon. If it is a 12" put 15 coals on top and 9 coal under it let cook for about 25-30 minutes. It's ez!!!!!!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky