Newbie question first smoke

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

highseas4000

Original poster
Dec 26, 2013
I just got a MES 30 the other day and the wife says why don't you smoke a turkey for supper on Christmas for your first smoke.  No pressure right??  Actually I read through a couple things online and got the turkey tasted great, 5 1/2 hours for a 12 pounder.  But I am having trouble with my remote meat thermometer.  I ran the smoker at 250 for a couple hours then down to 220 for the rest.  My thermometer kept reading very high, sometimes above the temp on the smoker.  I thought I had it in a good spot in the breast of the turkey, but I don't know.  I finally checked the temp with a regular meat thermo and the breast said 175 so I pulled it out.  At the same time the wireless said 250.  Any thoughts on this, am I just putting it in the wrong place, do you have to bury the whole sensor in the bird or just about half of it? 

The turkey turned out great, but I hated to keep opening to test the temp when I have a wireless one. 

BTW, after I took the bird out, I cleaned the thermometer and put it in boiling water and ended up at 210, so I seems to be working ok.

Thanks for any insights

Rob

My MES 30 temp probe does the same thing so I just don't use it I use another probe and send the kid up to read the temp for me when I want it.  That's my version of wireless.  These things are known for being off so I tried returning it and they replaced the entire unit at Cabela's just to have the same problem so I am living with it and it's really not a big deal any way for me so either way I am still happy with the performance of the smoker.

Little Smokey, After reading my post again, I was unclear.  I actually bought a separate remote thermometer as I had seen the MES 30 temp probes were questionable.  I may have to use your remote suggestion though, I have a couple kids also....

If I send the younger one who is learning numbers I provide a Ipod for picture taking purposes of the temp I also include a picture of the beer she needs to get while she is passing through the kitchen.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky