Newbie from the North

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

whtplainssmoker

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Apr 9, 2011
White Plains, NY
Just joined the Forum today after reading numerous posts and successfully implementing all I have learned from the great posters on this site.

My name is Mike and I'm 40 years old, and an attorney from White Plains, New York.  White Plains is a northern subburb of New York City.  A place mostly devoid of good BBQ.   I love grilling and recently have stepped up my game to smoking the true BBQ.

On my Weber Sliver C grill I've added a smoke box and managed to deliver some excellent pulled pork (hickory smoked) for some BBQs and turkey breast (sugar maple smoked) for Thanksgiving.  However, everyone tells me that charcoal is the best way to go. 

I purchased a Brinkmann Verticle charcoal smoker (2 Door) and I'm ready to go.  From reading the forums, I quickly learned that the charcoal bowl that comes with the smoker is virtually usesless.  As recommended, I bought a stainelss steel square wok from Home Goods (it fits perfectly in the runners for the smoker) and the first results were fantastic.  A little experimentation will be needed to keep temperature even, but overall thanks for the advice. 

Believe it or not my first experiment was a 5.75 lb brisket, and the results were great. 

I must reiterate how great this forum is and how willing everyone is to help out.  I look forward to sharing my own experiences with you and to learning a lot.  Thanks again.

Last edited:
Welcome to the SMF. Glad to have you here. Lots of good folks, great recipes and knowledge. Looking forward to your first qview.

Already submitted one.  It's being "moderated" bc of my newbie status.   The results were great.  This site is fantastic.  I hope to get to the skill level of some of the OTBS members.  This will be the summer of smoking!

Welcome to SMF, Glad to have you with us.

This is the place to learn, lots of good info and helpful friendly Members.

For those of you new to Smoking, be sure to check out Jeff's 5 Day Smoking Basics eCourse.

Click Here it's "FREE" ... 5 Day eCourseE

Also for those of you new to smoking,  Get a good Probe Thermometer as we smoke by Temperature NOT TIME.

A good choice for a remote dual probe thermometer is the Maverick ET-732

welcome1.gif
 to SMF, You are correct about the great folks here.

And the smokin' info is endless. Can't wait to see that Qview

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky