Newbie from NE WA

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Mangalitsa Queen

Original poster
Jan 4, 2023
Kettle Falls, WA
Hello!

I raise Mangalitsa pigs in NE Washington state. Currently we have 37, but we will be having 16 more litters this year if we are lucky!

I am brand new to cold smoking. My only hot smoking experience is with a Traeger. Let's be real, it really does the work for you!

I'm looking forward to learning more, and hopefully building a large smokehouse this summer. Below is my first build, that I made this week. Far from perfect, but I needed it fast and it works well enough for now. Yes, I'm aware the Smokai is way too big for the size of my building. :emoji_upside_down:

Attachments

• 20230111_180737.jpg
    20230111_180737.jpg
    147.7 KB · Views: 24
  • 20230111_180744 (1).jpg
    20230111_180744 (1).jpg
    139.8 KB · Views: 24
Reactions: JLeonard
Greetings and welcome to SMF
Currently in FL for the winter but go back to farming in MN for the summer.
No livestock, just wheat, soybeans, and sugar beets.
A couple of moderators on the forum raise hogs. Don't know much about the various breeds so I had to search out Mangalitsa. Quite the history.

Colorful smoker. I hope the paint is on the exterior only.

There is a home build section on the forum if you haven't already found it

Welcome from Iowa! That's a colorful one for sure! Any questions just ask...someone will have an answer for you!

Ryan

Reactions: Mangalitsa Queen
Welcome. Beautiful area up there.
I am west of Seattle and a few other members are in the area.
You've got the prettiest smokehouse in 4 states!
Looking forward to see some of your pork.
Mangalitsa's are some of the cutest damn things and I hear the meat is even better!

I hope the paint is on the exterior only.
It is actually fabric dye believe it or not! I added it to isopropyl alcohol and rubbed it into the exterior of the boards. Inside is bare wood. ;)

You've got the prettiest smokehouse in 4 states!
Looking forward to see some of your pork.
Mangalitsa's are some of the cutest damn things and I hear the meat is even better!
Thank you! I adore rainbow anything.

I'm looking forward to smoking some of my pork! I had a sow processed recently and her hams/bacon will be getting cold smoked in there. However, she wasn't a good quality pig (we never bred her because of her low-quality). Her meat just wasn't as good looking as my last feeder pigs I had processed. Alas all of their meat has been sold or eaten. :emoji_weary:

Their meat is the best pork I've ever eaten. I'd maybe even go as far as saying the best meat period. Though wagyu is pretty amazing.

Had to look up a Mangalitsa. Wow, looks almost like a sheep. And it's meat is top quality from what I read. Guess I'll have to keep an eye out for it.
1673808223740.png

1673808261624.png

Had to look up a Mangalitsa. Wow, looks almost like a sheep. And it's meat is top quality from what I read. Guess I'll have to keep an eye out for it.

We're in the process of getting our website up and running. We'll be having 14 feeder pigs processed on June at a USDA facility. There's a place over in the eastern side of the US, but I've heard that he crosses his mangalitsa with something else but tries to pass it off as pure.

We're registered with the breed registry and have certified mangalitsa pork.

Some of our pork chops. They were much redder before we put them in water to thaw.
20220816_174913.jpg

Rack of ribs. They were so good!
IMG_20221012_074407.jpg

Picnic bacon, a fan favorite around here.
20221119_104548.jpg

Some of our bacon. Mangalitsa are a lard breed so there's considerable belly fat. Absolutely melt in your mouth goodness. We get an average of 1oz grease off each slice! That's why we cook on a rack.
IMG_20221209_131047.jpg

Lastly a few of our pigs.
20221219_155711.jpg

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky