new to the forum - question re pellet parts

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

rushcreekoutdoor

Original poster
Mar 2, 2008
hey guys, i'm new to the forum. i am from southwest kentucky and we mostly cook pork on brick pits wiyh wood burnt down in a firebox and transferred by shovel, old style.

i am the local prosecutor, but i love to spend my time cooking. i used to compete in bbq contests, but not so much lately. also guide a little for whitetail deer and crappie on Reelfoot lake.

i have a friend who bought a traeger and loves it. does anyone know where i couldfind the parts needed to convert my brick pit to a pellet pit? i like the idea of thermostat control wood cooking, especially as i get older.

surely someone out there has built a homemade pellet cooker. any help is appreciated.

rushcreek

Heya Rush... stop into the Roll Call forum and give us a formal intro. Like your Q methods, it's kind of traditional here.

As far as a pellet pooper... That COULD be done. You into things electrical/mechanical? It won't be easy, and some skill would be required. I bet between a couple others here and I it could be designed, then the build? Unless you are quite adept at fabrication, I'd advise just go buy one.

I still happen to like tending a fire, but that may change.

Thanks for the reply. Posted my intro. As for tending the fire, I like it, but I also have come to like that convenience of the Thermostat on Bro. Tom's Traeger, and his meat turns out pretty good too!

I have an idea of how to attach it to my existing pit, but sources for the unit are unknown. My dad is a genius when it comes to building and fabricating skills, so if you guys don't mind helping, I think that it can be done.

rco
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif

OK..well..first thing that pops into my head is stealing Traeger's concepts. It's a screw feed, no? And I believe it's a simple timing circuit that just trips the feed for X amount of time with X being the amount of pellets that get dropped by the auger. Sooo..two times involved here...time between feeds, and time <length/amount> OF the feed. Need to figger out the average time of useful burn time of a given pellet amount.

Now I also believe those things have settings for light med and heavy... amounts of smoke. They must either vary the time between loads or the time of feed <more or less pellets>

I have never seen a traeger- but is this close?

I'm pretty sure the auger turns all the time, feeding pellets constantly. It just turns at a different speed, depending on the amount of heat required. I may be wrong though.
I have a question for you pellet heads. What is used for a binder in the pellets? How is the saw dust held together? I know it is extruded to get the shape, but how is it binded?

The auger is on a timer. On high it runs all the time. On medium it runs for 2 min. then off for 2 min. On smoke it runs for 1 min off for 3 min. As for the pellets, my understanding is that they are form under high presure and the heat that creates holds them together.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky