New to SV, pastrami question

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

G8trwood

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Mar 18, 2022
I have a pastrami soaking and my plan is to smoke to around 145 then sous vide at 155 overnight. Does this sound remotely correct? Or not enough time in the bath.

Thanks!

Well I know this is late but the time in SV will dictate the tenderness. I know when I do a chuck roast its 24 hours at 165 to get it fall apart tender. Since your original was on Thursday I am curious how it turned out G G8trwood

Well I know this is late but the time in SV will dictate the tenderness. I know when I do a chuck roast its 24 hours at 165 to get it fall apart tender. Since your original was on Thursday I am curious how it turned out G G8trwood
Pics to follow shortly, I just turned off the sous vide to let it rest a bit. Smoked for 6 hours on the pellet with an amazn tray. Pellets, cough, unk as it is a mixed lot. Hopefully today my lumberjack hickory/oak is delivered.

Tenderness is right on point ;) needs a bit more smoke, but very good.

F9673A71-3843-48B4-AE44-2ED858740674.jpeg
282CAF54-FCB5-4FE0-9360-E0CCB5549394.jpeg

Last edited:
Pics to follow shortly, I just turned off the sous vide to let it rest a bit. Smoked for 6 hours on the pellet with an amazn tray. Pellets, cough, unk as it is a mixed lot. Hopefully today my lumberjack hickory/oak is delivered.

Tenderness is right on point ;) needs a bit more smoke, but very good.

View attachment 627889View attachment 627898

Glad to hear the tenderness was great. It looks like it came out great.

Reactions: G8trwood
I have to say, my most tender corned beef/ pastrami ever. I think the sous vide is the way to go. So juicy and tender. Going to give it a shot on my next brisket as well. Whoever ir was that had the temps posted on here before was spot on. I don’t think I would have gone longer on the sous vide.

Made Ruebens for dinner last night, the boss was very happy.

Reactions: chopsaw
Yup . Looks great . I did one smoked then SV'd following Al's time and temp .
Looks like I went to 150 in the smoker , then SV'd 24 hours @ 154 . So same plan you had . I smoked mine in a MES 30 with mesquite chunks .
Comes out good .

Reactions: G8trwood
I have a pastrami soaking and my plan is to smoke to around 145 then sous vide at 155 overnight. Does this sound remotely correct? Or not enough time in the bath.

Thanks!

Looks Great from here!!---->Like.
Most of the time 24 hours is long enough to tenderize a Chuck Roast.
However occasionally you run into one that that isn't long enough.
So if you're going to make pulled Beef, 165° for 24 to 30 hours is fine.
However you can turn a Chucky into a Prime Rib event, if you go with about 131° for 48 hours.
I have since gone to 48 hours with Chuck Roasts, because it ticks me off when I give it 24 hours in my SV, and it is still way too tough for sliced Beef. And you never know which one will be that way.
Eye rounds I still do 24 to 30 hours, but to be sure I do all my Slicing Chuckies for 48 hours. It's definitely worth it.

Bear

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky