new to smokin in alaska

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

jenncarter

Original poster
Jul 18, 2006
I bought a homemade smoker and finally got to use it this weekend. Had no idea how long it would take, but after 2 days I reached the finish line. The salmon is awesome and can't wait to smoke more and try the halibut as well. My only problem that I see is that I need to figure out how to get more heat. Would like to try meat but am worried about the time it took to do the fish which is relatively thing. I have a commercial oven that was converted. A propane burner is used for heat and a chimney then travels about 15 inches up to the oven.

sounds like you need a good thermometer. Usually for meat around 230F is a good smoking temperature. It's probably so cold up there in alaska your losing all your heat to the surronding enviroment, which also depending on the design of your smoker may contribute to a temperature variation across the smoker.

both of which of course is not good, but don't worry there are solutions to anything. If you post a couple pics of your smoker, maybe we can help with some ideas of how to insulate it, which really helps conserve fuel and keep constant steady temperatures.

For now I suggest getting a good thermometer and use more fuel. I mean if you get 230F you can cook nearly anything. Theres no big difference between 230F in alaska and 230F anywhere else.

Good luck, and we here to help with any questions you may come up with. I know I had a million answered here.

Welcome to SMF, jenncarter. I echo what riz9 said-it would be nice to see what you're using. I'm wondering too if maybe you didn't buy someone else problem-I hope not. BUt maybe with some modifications we can help you turn that unit into a top notch smoker.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky