New to pellet -> Need advice to get going in the right direction

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Bob_Smokin_1

Original poster
Jul 4, 2021
I am looking to buy a first Pellet grill and want something on the physically smaller side (will live on my backyard patio in typical U.S. suburb). I am tryin to decipher what will be the better purchase for me, a Pit Boss 440D or a Traeger Bronson 20. The Pit Boss seams feature heavy compared to the Traeger plus has some heavier duty lid hardware (look at those hinges. The PB has the beefier hinges Traeger puts on their more expensive grills). The only thing I see the Traeger has is a brand name and a bigger hopper (which I realizes matters a lot). What about the vents or cooking capabilities? Any input would be appreciated.

My Uses:
- Smoking (ribs, shoulder, butt, chicken)
- Grill (Burgers, steak, chicken, pizza)
- Just a guy cooking for family (mostly) and friends (when I can).

Background:
- Smoking with a real wood fire is my preferred methods for smoking (Or secondly with lump charcoal). Life is to busy for these options these days, unfortunately I need more convenience. Hence going the pellet route.

Thank you.

I think Traegers are overpriced for what you get. Will never buy another one again. I've put 2 ignitors in it and it's out again. My stepdad has a really old traeger USA made and has never replaced a part. When I see them in the store they always look cheaply made and overpriced IMO. I guess I'm kinda resentful LOL

Agree that the Rec-Teq is definitely a step above either of those to choices. While I personally believe in buy-once-cry-once, the all mighty finance anvil can put a kibosh on following that montra for many. If I was in that percentage, looking at a Rec-Teq would be my starting point.

I had a smaller Pit Boss a few years ago and loved it. It was the 340 model. It did a great job smoking and cooking. I sold it to my boss and bought a 1000SC Pit Boss. I love that one too. I am also pretty sure the Pit Boss website has a hopper extension for most models to handle more pellets before a refill.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky