New to forum w/ new gen2 MES. Temps. WOW!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

cuebiz

Fire Starter
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Oct 17, 2013
Beloit WI
  Just bought a new gen. 2 MES 40. I attempted to use it for two racks BB.  WOW! Temps all over the place according to Maverick 732.

I have a feeling this is going to take a lot of time to get a feel of things before it will be a "set and forget it" as some people have expressed on the MES forum. The ribs took way longer than the 2-2-1 method. Finally I had to put me to bed and the ribs in the fridge. Finished them in the oven the next day, and to my surprise, they were pretty darn good. Oh well, we'll get the hang of it.  But if I'm planning to feed someone else, I'll have to have it dialed in a whole lot better than the first attempt.

I normally tend to use the 3-2-1 for my BB on my MES 30 but the wife likes them fall off the bone tender also.  Welcome aboard on the SMF train this place is awesome with lots of ready to help people who are nice and full of knowledge.

:welcome1: to SMF!!! We're happy you found us! You've come to the right place, we have over 50,000 members who just love to share their experience and over 1,000,000 posts describing it! Yea that’s right over 1,000,000!

The search bar at the top can be your best friend when you are trying to find answers to your questions but don’t hesitate to start threads and ask also!

We have an ”Articles” section that is full of great information about smoking to include a lot of recipes and instructionals. Check it out there is a lot to learn in there!

Thanks for the welcome. I've never been in a forum before, and was surprised at the quick responses.

I don't have an MES but am curious what you mean by temps all over the place? From everything I have read they hold consistent temps really well. I am just wondering if you weren't reading the element turning on and off. How close was your temp probe to that element?

It's a matter of documenting the difference between maverick 732 readings and the readings on the MES controller. I didn't keep track of the differences (30*- 35*)  My next smoke will be more watchful, so that I know what the "normal difference" is and I can set my controller

accordingly.  I was mowing and trimming while I was smoking, and everytime I looked at it I either read temps that dropped alot or else skyrocketed!  Like I say, next time I will write things down so that I can dial this thing in, so that I can plan my timing better. From what I've read from MES owners, this is somewhat normal. The directions on the MES remote are very vague on how to use it.  Practice makes perfect.

Welcome to the forums!  Glad you've joined our group.  You'll find there are lots of friendly and knowledgeable folks here who genuinely enjoy helping one another.  Looking forward to your input, and just ask when you need anything...someone here will surely have the answer.  

I used to own an older generation MES40, and liked it alot...never had any problems at all.  But I've heard of many problems with the new gen models.  Hope you get it ironed out!

Red

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky