New to forum. Tyring a youtube kielbasa recipe. Gonna add jalepano and cheese. They grind meat, add spices,wster, let dry over a fan. Smoke until 150

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I also use daveomak daveomak 's smoke schedule to pasteurize the links for 1/5 hours once the INT of the links reaches 138*F in the coldest part of the smoker. The temp usually rises to between 140-145*F after hour and a half...then I pull them and either shower or dunk in cold water to quench cooking and stop the links from drying out and getting wrinkled.
I recall reading that...., would you link that info?

The last bologna I made was cold smoked and finished in SV .... I was very impressed.

Like what's already been said, there is some great info on this site I probably read a 100 posts from daveomak when I first started on here just to learn about curing and ofcourse a number of members are just fantastic. I may be a novice but I would at least let the sausage cure and allow the flavors to develop overnight at a minimum.
Yah, the people on this forum are really kind and helpful. Not used to that in this new cold world

Generally I will put the refer temp meat in the smoker, no smoke, at ~100-110F for an hour or 2 so to get it warming... Then add smoke... exhaust wide open. good air flow.... after the smoke has been added, maybe 6-12-36 hours, I up the temp to~140 ish and close the exhaust 90% to stop evaporative cooling and heat to pasteurization temp.. ~135-138F and hold it at that temp for an hour or so longer than recommended times to pasteurize... just to be safe... I might have to up the smoker temp to ~145 ish to get the meat IT up...

When cold smoking, the meat temp needs to be above ambient or the air flow in the smoker might reverse....

Pasteurization times for beef, corned beef, lamb, pork and cured pork (FDA, 2009, 3-401.11.B.2).
Temp.F Time
130........ 112 min
131......... 89 min
132......... 71 min
133......... 56 min
134 .........45 min
135........ 36 min
136 ........28 min
137........ 23 min
138....... 18 min
139 .......15 min
140 .......12 min

Table C.1: Pasteurization times for beef, corned beef, lamb, pork and cured pork (FDA, 2009, 3-401.11.B.2).

Reactions: indaswamp
Sausage making (and meat curing, home canning, jerky making etc.) utilizes proven and/or approved techniques for food safety, combined with some personal touches. If you know solid technique you can make hundreds of kinds of sausage. If you know one recipe, you can make one kind of sausage. No disrespect to their online community, but some YouTube videos are more trustworthy than others.

I'm in the camp that grinds and mixes seasonings and cure one day, and stuffs the next day. I do put my cure into water for better distribution. My only logic is I like to let the seasonings blend, the curing agent go to work, and to allow the sausage to absorb the additional icy water I added when mixing. The next day I do fry a sample pattie for a taste test and adjust seasoning if needed. And I generally add more icy water and give another mix by hand before stuffing. I just want the best flavor and moistness I can get. I don't always smoke on the same day as stuffing, so my technique for a cured and smoked kielbasa might be spread over 3 days.

* I don't see anything wrong with grinding, mixing and stuffing the same day. But I would wait a day before smoking.

* Fan drying is fine

* 152° is the correct internal temp for sausage with the correct amount of Cure #1 added. I generally use 154° just for insurance.

* I use a ice bath or shower in cold water for smoked sausage, bologna, summer sausage etc.
Just the reply I needed, yah the 150 temp bothered me, 154 makes me feel better. This forum is full of great people. Thank you

Generally I will put the refer temp meat in the smoker, no smoke, at ~100-110F for an hour or 2 so to get it warming... Then add smoke... exhaust wide open. good air flow.... after the smoke has been added, maybe 6-12-36 hours, I up the temp to~140 ish and close the exhaust 90% to stop evaporative cooling and heat to pasteurization temp.. ~135-138F and hold it at that temp for an hour or so longer than recommended times to pasteurize... just to be safe... I might have to up the smoker temp to ~145 ish to get the meat IT up...

When cold smoking, the meat temp needs to be above ambient or the air flow in the smoker might reverse....

Pasteurization times for beef, corned beef, lamb, pork and cured pork (FDA, 2009, 3-401.11.B.2).
Temp.F Time
130........ 112 min
131......... 89 min
132......... 71 min
133......... 56 min
134 .........45 min
135........ 36 min
136 ........28 min
137........ 23 min
138....... 18 min
139 .......15 min
140 .......12 min

Table C.1: Pasteurization times for beef, corned beef, lamb, pork and cured pork (FDA, 2009, 3-401.11.B.2).
Excellent info!,thanks!

Matt, Morning.... I feel something got lost in the translation...
If you heat any meat sausage to any of the below Internal temperatures, for the prescribed time, the meat will be pasteurized and perfectly safe to eat...

132......... 71 min
133......... 56 min
134 .........45 min
135........ 36 min

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky