new to charcoal. need help

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

windycitysmokin

Fire Starter
Original poster
Aug 29, 2017
Chicago
Hey everyone,

So, I bought a new townhome and the seller left me his weber kettle. I'm excited about using it for both grilling and smoking but have 0 idea how to use it. I have a masterbuilt analog smoker so i know the basics of smoking, but no clue on using charcoal. The grill has 2 dividers that look similar to a slow and sear, where i can put coals in on the sides for indirect heat, and he left an electric starter loop thing. I know there's a bottom vent / ash scraper and a top vent on the lid. I get that for smoking i'll use indirect heat and direct heat for grilling. That's everything i do know. Here's what a don't know.

How do i know how much charcoal to use? Is there a 1 brick = X temp or Y time? or is it pretty much the same amount of charcoal every time?

is there a pretty standard vent setting? or is it going to vary every cook based on what I'm cooking and environmental conditions?

How long before actually cooking should I plan to start the coals?

What do i do when done? Just put the lid on and close the vents?

as you can tell, I have LOT to learn, I don't even know what all I don't know. So please give me all advice, help, or point me to the right place to find it.

Thanks in advance

Long time Kettle user here.

Grilling: Top vent and ash scraper full open. I don't use an electric starter. I have large and small chimneys, using the small one for 95% of my grilling. A full small chimney is 32 briquettes. The large one is around 80 briquettes when full. Each one takes about 30 minutes for the briquettes to ash over, then it's time to grill.

The two grilling baskets are great to use for both direct and indirect grilling. Kingsford briquettes last about an hour once loaded in the baskets. Royal Oak (or any briquette that says "Ridge"), a denser briquette, last about 90 minutes.

A Vortex is also a GREAT accessory that will save you charcoal.

When you are done grilling, close the top vent and ash catcher vent. The coals will snuff and can be reused, but they won't last as long as a new briquette.

Smoking: There are a TON of YouTube videos about smoking on the Kettle. Top vent full open. Ash catcher barely open for 225F smokes. Bury wood chunks in the charcoal in the slow n sear. You get cleaner smoke that way. The top vent goes opposite of the slow n sear.

Don't be in a hurry to start a smoking fire. Load the wood and cold charcoal and only heat 6-8 briquettes to add to the cold pile for a smoking fire. Set your vents and let it slowly come up to temp. You'll need a temp probe or gauge for the grate because the top of the lid can run a LOT hotter than the grate.

The Kettle is a great grill and smoker. Looking forward to your creations!

Long time Kettle user here.

Grilling: Top vent and ash scraper full open. I don't use an electric starter. I have large and small chimneys, using the small one for 95% of my grilling. A full small chimney is 32 briquettes. The large one is around 80 briquettes when full. Each one takes about 30 minutes for the briquettes to ash over, then it's time to grill.

The two grilling baskets are great to use for both direct and indirect grilling. Kingsford briquettes last about an hour once loaded in the baskets. Royal Oak (or any briquette that says "Ridge"), a denser briquette, last about 90 minutes.

A Vortex is also a GREAT accessory that will save you charcoal.

When you are done grilling, close the top vent and ash catcher vent. The coals will snuff and can be reused, but they won't last as long as a new briquette.

Smoking: There are a TON of YouTube videos about smoking on the Kettle. Top vent full open. Ash catcher barely open for 225F smokes. Bury wood chunks in the charcoal in the slow n sear. You get cleaner smoke that way. The top vent goes opposite of the slow n sear.

Don't be in a hurry to start a smoking fire. Load the wood and cold charcoal and only heat 6-8 briquettes to add to the cold pile for a smoking fire. Set your vents and let it slowly come up to temp. You'll need a temp probe or gauge for the grate because the top of the lid can run a LOT hotter than the grate.

The Kettle is a great grill and smoker. Looking forward to your creations!

thanks for all the info.

so, for smoking, only about 6-8 briquettes? And I’d need to add on every hour ish?
As far as grilling, do more briquettes = more heat? Say I wanted a scalding hot grill for searing I would use more than if I just wanted a medium heat? Or do you hit a point of diminishing returns as you increase the # of briquettes?

thanks for all the info.

so, for smoking, only about 6-8 briquettes? And I’d need to add on every hour ish?
As far as grilling, do more briquettes = more heat? Say I wanted a scalding hot grill for searing I would use more than if I just wanted a medium heat? Or do you hit a point of diminishing returns as you increase the # of briquettes?

For smoking 6 - 8 lit briquettes resting(touching) unlit briquettes. The amount and placement of the unlit depends on what your smoking. There are a few ways of setting up your kettle for smoking.

For scalding hot a fully lit chimney of briquettes and all vents wide open, for medium heat a quarter to half a chimney of lit briquettes. Top vent wide open, bottom vents start wide open. When your about 30* from your target temp close the bottom vent down about a quarter of a turn and let the temp stabilize you may need to close it a little more or less.

I use a Vortex for high heat and baskets for lower heat.

Chris

Reactions: windycitysmokin
You are going to love your Weber, it can be used many ways for smoking or grilling. I do briskets, butts and ribs on mine when ever I can find them on sale and they always turn out great. I see you said you had a SlowNSear. Here is a pretty good video for setting it up for different cooks. Good Luck!

You are going to love your Weber, it can be used many ways for smoking or grilling. I do briskets, butts and ribs on mine when ever I can find them on sale and they always turn out great. I see you said you had a SlowNSear. Here is a pretty good video for setting it up for different cooks. Good Luck!

Thanks for the link, lots of good info there.

I did realize, I just have a generic charcoal basket, not the slow n sear with the water reservoir, but I imagine the information will translate the same.

Keep the info coming guys

Charcoal baskets can be used together to form a circle to concentrate the heat a little, or they can be separated and placed against the outside, either opposite each other, or touching at one point. Play with their placement to get an idea how best to use them for direct and indirect heat.

If the kettle works out for you and you like it, the SlowNSear is a very good addition to a Weber, I love mine. I see they have a 2.0 now where you can remove the water tray and it gives you more room for lump or briquettes. I can get about 9 hours out my original SNS. Lots of people just use a couple bricks and a water pan but I think the SNS is more clean. I use a Vortex also for chicken wings, it really gets the temperature up. After I bought it, I wonder if a guy cut the bottom out of one of them stainless steel mixing bowls and it would do the same.......it sure would have been cheaper. :-) I love it tho.

Charcoal baskets can be used together to form a circle to concentrate the heat a little, or they can be separated and placed against the outside, either opposite each other, or touching at one point. Play with their placement to get an idea how best to use them for direct and indirect heat.

If the kettle works out for you and you like it, the SlowNSear is a very good addition to a Weber, I love mine. I see they have a 2.0 now where you can remove the water tray and it gives you more room for lump or briquettes. I can get about 9 hours out my original SNS. Lots of people just use a couple bricks and a water pan but I think the SNS is more clean. I use a Vortex also for chicken wings, it really gets the temperature up. After I bought it, I wonder if a guy cut the bottom out of one of them stainless steel mixing bowls and it would do the same.......it sure would have been cheaper. :-) I love it tho.

Thanks for the info guys, i went ahead and ordered an SNS 2.0 and charcoal chimney off amazon. The SNS wont be hear until the 20th though so i'll get used to the baskets until then.

Reactions: kilroy
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky