New Smoker!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

cpl0313

Fire Starter
Original poster
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Apr 30, 2014
Paulding County Georgia
Just picked it up and did the initial season burn

Attachments

• 1335F840-4D4D-4D7A-877F-B2213EB85C64.jpeg
    1335F840-4D4D-4D7A-877F-B2213EB85C64.jpeg
    92.1 KB · Views: 91
It is. Local company to me in Georgia. I’ve seen quite a few of their smokers at KCBS comps over the years and finally pulled the trigger.

Reactions: babydoc
I have a Masterbuilt 560 GF. Found it on sale at Walmart for half price and bought it just mostly out of curiosity about GF's. As a smoker, I love it and its piqued my interest in GF's. I've been looking at upgrading but its a big jump in price from the MB to a quality GF.

I'm guessing that's an Assassin 17 ? I've looked at that one and the Southern Q Limo Jr. Will be interested in how it cooks.

Reactions: babydoc
I'm very interested in how air flows from the charcoal chute into the cook chamber.

I was closely looking at an Old Country Gravity Feed. But I kept reading about it taking a long time to get up to temp. It seems there were air flow problems. An ATC was a small improvement for some.

But I looked closer at how OC designed the cooker. They forced the air down with a baffle inside the cook chamber, as I've marked in the pic below. And then it flows under a deflector plate. I think hot air is never meant to flow down and my theory is that and the two 90* turns, creates the air flow problem.

From what I can tell just from user pics, other GF makers have air flowing directly into the bottom of the cook chamber and then use a deflector plate. Its a straight shot into the cook chamber from the charcoal chute. The actual fire box is below the bottom of the cook chamber.

OCGF air flow.jpg

OCGF.jpg

OCGF FB.jpg

Last edited:
I'm very interested in how air flows from the charcoal chute into the cook chamber.

I was closely looking at an Old Country Gravity Feed. But I kept reading about it taking a long time to get up to temp. It seems there were air flow problems. An ATC was a small improvement for some.

But I looked closer at how OC designed the cooker. They forced the air down with a baffle inside the cook chamber, as I've marked in the pic below. And then it flows under a deflector plate. I think hot air is never meant to flow down and my theory is that and the two 90* turns, creates the air flow problem.

From what I can tell just from user pics, other GF makers have air flowing directly into the bottom of the cook chamber and then use a deflector plate. Its a straight shot into the cook chamber from the charcoal chute. The actual fire box is below the bottom of the cook chamber.

View attachment 655429
View attachment 655430

View attachment 655431
The green line is the smoker temp. It took about 30 minutes to go from 39 degrees to 225.

Attachments

• AB2B91C7-F8E9-4BF8-BDCD-7DCC86F23C70.png
    AB2B91C7-F8E9-4BF8-BDCD-7DCC86F23C70.png
    160.8 KB · Views: 46
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky