New smoker - novice griller

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

vwmann

Original poster
Mar 2, 2007
Tampa, FL
I just bought my first smoker and I'm trying to learn the art of smoking meat. I had a propane grill I used for years and it finally died. When I shopped for a new one I didn't want the normal stainless steel grill that everyone else had I wanted that natural wood flavor. So after talking to a friend of mine (while eating the best ribs I've ever eaten) I bought a Char-Griller Super Pro with the side fire box. After seasoning it I cooked my first rack of baby back ribs. They turned out ok but I had it too close to the heat and a flare up came into the main grill and burned one side of the rack. I will do some reading before i waste another rack.

Welcome to SMF vwmann. Check out this thread to help you out: 3-2-1 Rib Method that should get you started. Read as many posts as you can find on it. Also there are some mods you can make to your smoker to keep the flare ups from biting you. Do some searches.. read, read, read.. then smoke again. Glad to have you here

Keep Smokin

PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif
Welcome to the SMF.
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif

Welcome to the forum. I use the Chargriller/side box also. It took me a little while to get it right but I did a lot of practicing making jerky
biggrin.gif
. Take your time and make sure to have a supply of Cigars.

Rick
<><

Before I forget, The lid thermo does not show the actual grill temp. If the thermometer shows 170 the grill temp might be around 200 degs. Get a seperate thermometer for that. Stick the tip through a potato to keep it off the grill.

Welcome VWMann-

Go slow take your time. I think ribs are a little tricky to do at first because you still need to lean how to control your heat and smoke. That takes a little practice. Try a brisket or a pork shoulder there alot more forgiving and while you are learning how your tools behave and what needs to be done to adjust the heat, the smoke and air flow you'll still have something good to eat!

icon_biggrin.gif

Welcome, welcome! Glad you are here!

Don't be afraid to ask lots of questions. The friendly folks here at SMF will be glad to make answer.

Take care, have fun, and do good!

Regards,

Meowey

Welcome VW Mann from your neighbor to the south of you. Check out the 5 day e-course. It is great for new comers. I too had limited success until I learned from the experts here. Low and slow is key. Now I feel like I am getting it down. My ribs are awesome! Also, try out Jeff's rub. It is great.
icon_razz.gif

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky