New Smoker Build

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

smokingd

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Apr 2, 2009
Vegreville, AB, Canada
So I am building a new wood smoker/grill. It is going to be a propane/charcoal combo unit.  Fully insulated.  Inside cooking chamber when complete will be 29" wide and 24" deep with 48" front and 40" back height.  I am lining this with some 3/16" thick ceramic tile i have kickin around.  Bottom rack is salvaged BBQ grill and the rest will be expanded metal.  I am using angle iron from an old bed to support racks.  I am going to side it with barn wood siding from a 150 year old building on the parents farm.  (it's falling down so I am not destroying it)  In total it is 7' tall but I am going to cut the propane bottle chamber done about a foot making it 6'. This project is made with 100% salvaged materials (and leftover tile adhesive from bathroom reno) costing me nothing but time.  My question for you all is what should I use to season and first cook in this?  I will add more pics as I progress.

Nice smoker. You didn't say what temps you expect out of it. I always say go with chicken leg quarters for the first smoke as they are cheap and will take wide temp swings. You may have to finish them up on a grill or in the oven to get high enough temps to crispy up the skin. Pulled pork is second on the list.

Happy smoken.

David

After some research I realize 500F is not a wise goal as the auto-ignition temp for most woods is approx 572F.  But seeing as this is going to be used mostly as a smoker running low temps I am not to worried about scorching the wooden frame.  The flame will be no closer to the tile then 4".  I hope to be able to bring the heat up long enough to crisp chicken skin.  My first wood smoker is still in use today, and it has no tile inside.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky