New r/f build

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Rf plate is flush with top of Fb on inside and stops just past the racks on the other end.

Attachments

• 2FACD283-4D02-4C5C-ADBC-BDF8CDB6145E.jpeg
    2FACD283-4D02-4C5C-ADBC-BDF8CDB6145E.jpeg
    260.9 KB · Views: 31
  • 959F7CD8-6E43-4A7A-91DA-C726EB6247A6.jpeg
    959F7CD8-6E43-4A7A-91DA-C726EB6247A6.jpeg
    169.6 KB · Views: 35
Stack is coped to match inside of tank and is flush with inside. I wouldn't call the door air tight when smoke is heavy you can see a little seep thru here and there. I have it as good as I can get it without putting a gasket on it.

Air leakage around that door will SEVERELY affect the air flow.... That will reduce the draft through the Fire Box and keep the CC cooler...

With the upper air inlet open on the FB moving hot air into the CC, and the lower air inlet adjusted to control the heat in the CC, the FB should be within 25-50 F of the CC.... Having enough opening in the upper air inlet is what makes it work.....

Here's what woodyg thinks about using the tutorial to build a smoker, and how it works.... Just one of many folks that seem satisfied...

One thing I'm noticing from your pictures is the wood basket... The grating is pretty well spaced out.. i think all your hot coals are falling through before turning to ash.. I would get a piece of flat expanded metal (#9, 3/4") and put that in the bottom of the basket to keep coals from falling through prematurely...

One thing I'm noticing from your pictures is the wood basket... The grating is pretty well spaced out.. i think all your hot coals are falling through before turning to ash.. I would get a piece of flat expanded metal (#9, 3/4") and put that in the bottom of the basket to keep coals from falling through prematurely...
You are right about that. They do fall thru I have some extra expanded metal I will put in it like you said.

With the upper air inlet open on the FB moving hot air into the CC, and the lower air inlet adjusted to control the heat in the CC, the FB should be within 25-50 F of the CC.... Having enough opening in the upper air inlet is what makes it work.....

Here's what woodyg thinks about using the tutorial to build a smoker, and how it works.... Just one of many folks that seem satisfied...

I'm satisfied with the build for sure just want to tweak it to get temps right. I did everything to your measurements and used your advice so I believe it's built right. I should have did like you said and made a regular air inlet instead of pinwheel.

I ran into the same situation on one of my very first builds.... it drove me nuts for a couple months and I was ready to scrap it until a local blacksmith took a look and pointed out a couple minor mistakes that were choking air flow through the cc.
Given your stack and opening between the fb and cc all seem to be sized ok, a couple other choke points come to mind. First, have you measured the actual volume of your opening between the end of rf plate and the tank wall? You indicated that the rf is flush with top of fb, assuming the rf has some fall off towards a drain, the actual volume of the vertical opening between the bottom of the rf plate and floor of the tank is going to be smaller, which could restrict air flow. Second, check the actual volume of the horizontal opening between the end of the rf and tank wall as it too can be a choke point. Ideally both openings would have the same (if not slightly larger) volume as the opening between the fb and cc.
If you check the openings and find restrictions hopefully they are minor. If so, you might be able to get around them by simply positioning the cooker on a slight slope (2-5% should be sufficien) with the fb at the low end, which should improve the cookers ability to draft. If lowering the fb doesn’t improve the cc temps, you may need to rework the rf plate.

Reactions: calebcooper
Jack D may be onto something. I started with a grate similar to yours. I tried a few things to get the coals to build up yet allow air flow from beneath. I ended up with 2 layers of #9 expanded. One as the grate [support] and one in my basket. I will periodically shake the basket to clear ash. I also added some fire brick to the bottom of the firebox .
Just be patient and try these little things, you'll get it figured out. It took me 4 changes to get the grate worked out.
Before making larger air intakes, try it with the door cracked a bit.

RG

Reactions: calebcooper
You can somewhat see here where the rf plate ends. I'll have to measure height of it on drain end as it does go downhill. I did/do open the door occasionally to get temp higher you really only have to do this if you want to go over 225. I do plan to add expanded metal to wood basket to help hold coals as mentioned. Do you guys think wood size will make a difference? I currently don't have any seasoned wood so I been using chunks from the store. They do a decent job they just burn to quick and I have to steady feed it or I lose my temp.

Attachments

• 4A998E9C-0C05-4EA7-A04C-1E81772885F2.jpeg
    4A998E9C-0C05-4EA7-A04C-1E81772885F2.jpeg
    231.5 KB · Views: 26
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky