New member with a greasy question.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

keahunter

Original poster
Aug 5, 2022
Hi, I am attempting snack sticks for the second time. The first time, I think i let the temps get out of control and they seemed to "fat out" and the collagen casings separated. For my second attempt (which are in the smoker as I type), i just tested the temps and the outsides seems greasy. I am using venison cut with beef fat at about an 80/20 ratio. I have them in collagen casings. I'm using a masterbuilt electric (which i hate but that's a story for a different day) and the temp is currently set at 140 (started at 110 for an hour then bumped to 120 for two hours with "smoke" and now at 140). I have a probe in the sticks that shows its at 125 internal temp. I would think that's too low to render the fats out but yet, the sticks feel greasy, are plump and not shriveling. Is this normal?

Hi, I am attempting snack sticks for the second time. The first time, I think i let the temps get out of control and they seemed to "fat out" and the collagen casings separated. For my second attempt (which are in the smoker as I type), i just tested the temps and the outsides seems greasy. I am using venison cut with beef fat at about an 80/20 ratio. I have them in collagen casings. I'm using a masterbuilt electric (which i hate but that's a story for a different day) and the temp is currently set at 140 (started at 110 for an hour then bumped to 120 for two hours with "smoke" and now at 140). I have a probe in the sticks that shows its at 125 internal temp. I would think that's too low to render the fats out but yet, the sticks feel greasy, are plump and not shriveling. Is this normal?
Set temperature and actual temp are often two different things. Do you have an independent thermometer reading grate temp? Fat will noticeable melt at about 155-160F, it gets worse the higher the temperature.

The process to get to final IT is pretty much what your temp bumps are, but I’m thinking your chamber temp is higher than you think. Never trust a factory temp gauge.

Welcome to SMF from North Texas! You should jump over to the Roll Call page and introduce yourself to the group.

- Jason

Set temperature and actual temp are often two different things. Do you have an independent thermometer reading grate temp? Fat will noticeable melt at about 155-160F, it gets worse the higher the temperature.

The process to get to final IT is pretty much what your temp bumps are, but I’m thinking your chamber temp is higher than you think. Never trust a factory temp gauge.
Thank you for replying, I had two separate probes measuring the box and two measuring the IT of the sticks. Once they were done, they ended better but still had a noticeable greasy feel. I had the temps low as it took about 9 1/2 hours to complete

I have never added fat to my snack sticks, beef/deer mix but avoid the fat . Same thing making summer sausage mostly deer with a little beef

Reactions: keahunter
When I do snack sticks, I start @ 120F for an hour, then add smoke set to 135F for 1 hour, 150F 1 hour, 165F 1 hour, then 175F until IT of 152-155F. I use an electric with good temp control. The last hour or so I get a little fat dripping. I use natural casings, did not like collagen. Recheck your temps, maybe rotate your sticks around.

RG

Attachments

• 20200613_140728.jpg
    20200613_140728.jpg
    111.8 KB · Views: 10
  • 20200614_220849.jpg
    20200614_220849.jpg
    127.6 KB · Views: 11
Thanks Jason
When I do snack sticks, I start @ 120F for an hour, then add smoke set to 135F for 1 hour, 150F 1 hour, 165F 1 hour, then 175F until IT of 152-155F. I use an electric with good temp control. The last hour or so I get a little fat dripping. I use natural casings, did not like collagen. Recheck your temps, maybe rotate your sticks around.

RG
Thank you! Those sticks look fantastic. I have the casing peeling off of mine again. Better this time than the last and i assumed that it was fatting out that made the casings separate. The fatting out is better this time but still there. I started at 110 for an hour then bumped to 120 for two hours with "smoke", then 140 for about two hours, then upped it to 160 for an hour and then finally 180 until getting to 153 IT. I used "already ground" meat from my butcher. He adds beef fat to my venison so i was guessing at 80/20. I think that the improvements i need to make are:
1. know exactly what is in my meet mix
2. get a really good thermometer (that has a remote so i don't have to run back and forth all day)
3. get a smoke tube so i can actually GET smoke (my masterbuilt doesn't produce smoke at anything less than 225)

then i'll try it again and hope for better results.

Thanks Jason

Thank you! Those sticks look fantastic. I have the casing peeling off of mine again. Better this time than the last and i assumed that it was fatting out that made the casings separate. The fatting out is better this time but still there. I started at 110 for an hour then bumped to 120 for two hours with "smoke", then 140 for about two hours, then upped it to 160 for an hour and then finally 180 until getting to 153 IT. I used "already ground" meat from my butcher. He adds beef fat to my venison so i was guessing at 80/20. I think that the improvements i need to make are:
1. know exactly what is in my meet mix
2. get a really good thermometer (that has a remote so i don't have to run back and forth all day)
3. get a smoke tube so i can actually GET smoke (my masterbuilt doesn't produce smoke at anything less than 225)

then i'll try it again and hope for better results.
I now smoke all my sausage for about 4-5 hours and keep the temps below 140F sticks would take less time, but then I finish my IT in the sous vide set at 151F. This takes about an hour to finish and I never have fat out. This also really conditions the natural casing for a perfectly snappy bite through.

Kea,

Practice makes perfect it took me a few batches to get the hang of it. I make mine all beef, mostly trimmed chuck. I get the manager specials about to "expire". I add fat that I've trimmed from brisket or belly. I grind that separately and mix in by hand. Smoke in electric with pellet tray / mailbox.

RG

Reactions: keahunter
Kea,

Practice makes perfect it took me a few batches to get the hang of it. I make mine all beef, mostly trimmed chuck. I get the manager specials about to "expire". I add fat that I've trimmed from brisket or belly. I grind that separately and mix in by hand. Smoke in electric with pellet tray / mailbox.

RG
Thanks RG

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky