New Kamado on the Market

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Joatman

Fire Starter
Original poster
Apr 1, 2020

Attachments

• 3D55ECB1-989B-4B40-AFD7-EC7A9B8F25B2.png
    3D55ECB1-989B-4B40-AFD7-EC7A9B8F25B2.png
    243.9 KB · Views: 13
Did a search and found their site. Scant info on the site.

https://broilkingbbq.com/grills/keg/keg-5000/

My first thought is that it makes more sense to buy a Char Griller Akorn and save $600.00.

That said; If they offered more information, they might convince me that their smoker is worth $600 more than the Akorn.

I have an Akorn and am happy with it, for the money. They are a cheap tool that will rust out if you don't store them properly. They won't last long enough to hand down to your heirs, but they work.

If I buy another kamado style it will be the oval Primo. The oval design just makes sense. Wish Char Griller would make a cheap knock off.

Reactions: jcam222 and Joatman

My first thought is that it makes more sense to buy a Char Griller Akorn and save $600.00.

That said; If they offered more information, they might convince me that their smoker is worth $600 more than the Akorn.

I have an Akorn and am happy with it, for the money. They are a cheap tool that will rust out if you don't store them properly. They won't last long enough to hand down to your heirs, but they work.

If I buy another kamado style it will be the oval Primo. The oval design just makes sense. Wish Char Griller would make a cheap knock off.
I have a Louisiana Kamado that I bought from Costco......and really like it....but know someone who may be interested. Im curious of the weight on this new one here. The price is close to that of the Green Egg. I’ll check to see if I can find any reviews on YouTube. Thanks for your response.

I have a Louisiana Kamado that I bought from Costco......and really like it....but know someone who may be interested. Im curious of the weight on this new one here. The price is close to that of the Green Egg. I’ll check to see if I can find any reviews on YouTube. Thanks for your response.
BTW, I considered the Acorn, but wanted something a little bigger. That Acorn has a cult-following! Extremely popular!

The Broil King appears to be made of metal, as the Akorn is, and therefore more able to take hard knocks than the ceramic cookers. It is also pretty much the same size as the Akorn. (If I remember correctly, my Akorn's grate is 20 + inches across).

I don't know the weight of the Akorn, offhand, but I have horsed it in and out of my truck bed several times. Maybe 60 to 70 Lb's?

BTW, I considered the Acorn, but wanted something a little bigger. That Acorn has a cult-following! Extremely popular!

My Akorn is an early model, and needed some modifying to get it working properly, (Gaskets around the lid and air intake). Once made, it became a very predictable and capable smoker. They deserve their popularity, as far as I am concerned.

If I was looking to buy a ceramic I would go for the oval design of the Primo. Made in US is a plus, for me, but the design makes for more flexible use than round, to me.

Primo does "bend you over" Big time, for accessories, though, and you would need a few to get the most out of the cooker.

I keep my Akorn under a grill gazebo that's 5'x8'. $110.00. No rust and going on 10 years. I took the bottom slide vent off with the two screws and put a small bead of high temp RTV permatex silicone around the rectangle opening on the removeable ash pan so air comes in through the slide and not behind/around it, eliminating a leaky vent. It's controllable consistently at 200° and higher. A $12 .00 17" charcoal grate for a 22" weber kettle grill from Home Depot sits perfectly on the three stone platter brackets for an elevated charcoal cooking/searing grate or to hold my 15" pizza stone for drip pans for indirect cooking. I got it new for $248.00 @ Menards and I'd get it again. The large removable vented ash pan has the gasket attached to the bottom of the Kamado and handles a lot of briquette ash . Some use only lump in their ceramic Kamados because of the volume of ash briquettets produce and they can absorb odors from lighter fluid or firestarters or ready to light briquettes but everyone seems to use a charcoal chimney nowadays with standard briquettes or lump. I started with lump but the last nine years on this Akorn I've just used Kingsford blue bag briquettes with the same results. The Amazen pellet tube or tray is great in this Akorn for cold smoking. Just unlatch the ash pan and let it hang or remove it for plenty of air to burn pellets. I could have sealed the bottom vent by removing the ash pan and dumping the ash through the vent opening as you turn it 360° to get ash to seal the vent to the ash pan. All this info was given to me on this SMF site so I had to try the Akorn. The big 21" cooking grate and the elevated grate that comes with it offers lots of cooking area for a small footprint. The pic of my avatar is from 2013. Oh, the charcoal grate for the weber 18" little smokey fits down in the fire ring an inch above the Akorn charcoal grate if you need a replacement grate. I put the Akorn grate ontop of it in the opposite grate direction so small unused briquettes from the previous cook don't fall through as well as small lump pieces.

Cold smoke a whole belly and back bacon.
CAM00466.jpg

Cook a pound of bacon at a time.
20191008_180437.jpg

Cold smoke 3 lbs of ground chuck 2 hours before firing up the Akorn to finish for chili.
20191205_120657.jpg

I keep my Akorn under a grill gazebo that's 5'x8'. $110.00. No rust and going on 10 years. I took the bottom slide vent off with the two screws and put a small bead of high temp RTV permatex silicone around the rectangle opening on the removeable ash pan so air comes in through the slide and not behind/around it, eliminating a leaky vent. It's controllable consistently at 200° and higher. A $12 .00 17" charcoal grate for a 22" weber kettle grill from Home Depot sits perfectly on the three stone platter brackets for an elevated charcoal cooking/searing grate or to hold my 15" pizza stone for drip pans for indirect cooking. I got it new for $248.00 @ Menards and I'd get it again. The large removable vented ash pan has the gasket attached to the bottom of the Kamado and handles a lot of briquette ash . Some use only lump in their ceramic Kamados because of the volume of ash briquettets produce and they can absorb odors from lighter fluid or firestarters or ready to light briquettes but everyone seems to use a charcoal chimney nowadays with standard briquettes or lump. I started with lump but the last nine years on this Akorn I've just used Kingsford blue bag briquettes with the same results. The Amazen pellet tube or tray is great in this Akorn for cold smoking. Just unlatch the ash pan and let it hang or remove it for plenty of air to burn pellets. I could have sealed the bottom vent by removing the ash pan and dumping the ash through the vent opening as you turn it 360° to get ash to seal the vent to the ash pan. All this info was given to me on this SMF site so I had to try the Akorn. The big 21" cooking grate and the elevated grate that comes with it offers lots of cooking area for a small footprint. The pic of my avatar is from 2013. Oh, the charcoal grate for the weber 18" little smokey fits down in the fire ring an inch above the Akorn charcoal grate if you need a replacement grate. I put the Akorn grate ontop of it in the opposite grate direction so small unused briquettes from the previous cook don't fall through as well as small lump pieces.

Cold smoke a whole belly and back bacon.
View attachment 445716

Cook a pound of bacon at a time.
View attachment 445724

Cold smoke 3 lbs of ground chuck 2 hours before firing up the Akorn to finish for chili.
View attachment 445725
Lot of great information for Akorn owners! Cold smoking ground beef for Chile is an awesome idea. I’ve found so many good tips on this site.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky