New - How much wood?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

smokerlover

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Feb 1, 2007
N.W. PA
Hello,
I have a Char Broil electric vertical smoker. I want to do a turkey for some friends on Super Sunday. All I can get are hickory and mesquite chips in my area. I know I need apple but I don't have a choice. Also, how many chips should I normallly use. I tried making jerky once ( the 1st and only time I've ever used one) with mesquite chips and used 2 handfuls directly on the heating element. What is a normal amount of wood chips?

Welcome to SMF.
I don't think you NEED apple. I usually just brine my poultry and smoke with oak and hickory. Apple is good, cherry is better, but not needed.
I don't know about an electric smoker, as I've never owned one. But when I used an ECB, I'd wrap chunks or chips loosely in foil and poke some holes. With this type of smoker, all you want with the wood is flavor. You don't need to utilize the fuel properties of the wood. So you want the wood to smolder on not catch fire.

Smokerlover-

Welcome! Smoking turkey with Hickory amd mesquite is just fine! that all I ever have and it's still a great smoke.
I do not have an electric smoker I use charcol and I tend to put just a few small pieces at a time near the edges farthest from the heat.

Remember you want to lightly smoke the turkey slowly not asphyxiate it!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky