New here and made some sausage this week

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

goat

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
OTBS Member
Oct 27, 2005
Uvalde, TX
I took advantage of the cool weather and made a batch of sausage this week. I cubed 50 lbs of pork to start.
Seasoning the cubed meat
Grinding the meat twice
Stuffing
Smoking
Finished product

goat

yo,
goat dude,
man, thats way cool.
those sausages are absitively beautimus.

what is the first grind and second grind cutting plate size??

is the pork you cubed shoulder or butt??

what kind of sausage are those jewels you made??

did you add any fat??

larry

I ground twice thru a 3/8 plate. I had 4 pork butts and then I had some loins and hams from wild hogs that I had harvested. This is a cold smoked fresh German sausage. No extra fat was added. I hope this answers your questions.

goat

Goat, Welcome to the Smoking Meat Forum. Outstanding pictures. Just a couple of quick questions about your Sausage Seasoning-is it a commercial mix or do you mix your own? And if you mix your own will you share your recipe?

Thanks!

Like the press, the recipe came down also. I will tell you that there is 24 oz salt/100lbs meat, granulated garlic, chili powder, paprika, and both coarse and fine grind black pepper.
wink.gif

goat

LOL, I got a couple of recipes like that too, goat. Some of this, a little of that, a pinch here, half a handful there, give it a taste and add what's missing. I just drive the Bride mad when I cook that way, she's into measuring cups and measuring spoons, then I'll really send her over the edge and pull out my electronic scale and measure everything by weight. She'll ask how much of whatever do you need and I'll tell her 4 ounce by weight and she'll pull out the half cup measuring cup. So I'll let her fill up her cup and then I'll have her pour it onto the scale and I'll tell her to stop when scale reaches 4 oz. Now whenever I pull out the scale, she leaves me to cook on my own unless I ask her to help with something. :twisted:

goat, I've never made my own sausage so those pictures are quite impressive to me. You make it look and sound so simple. Maybe the wife NEEDS an attachment for her Kitchenaide. 8) Thanks for posting those pictures. Nice smokehouse too!

Bob, if you get the Grinder attachment, remember to chill the meat before grinding. I put mine in the freezer 'till is almost frozen, then I grind it.

If you're going to do links or ropes, you may want to look into getting the KA Sausage Horns, too. They cost about $13.00-$14.00 for the set (small and large diameter tubes).

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky