New Here, A few smoke house issues in my new build. With pics...

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

ALAN R GUTTERSOHN

Original poster
Jan 3, 2018
Southern Illinois
Greetings, Last fall I read through all of the posts in this forum and came up with some ideas. I ended up building a 4'x4'x8' smoke house. I planned on cold smoking my summer sausage and later setting it up to also hot smoke. 20180812_113047.jpg
It is made with 2x4 framework with the 2x4's on edge(1 1/2" thick). I insulated it with Rock Wool insulation and lined the inside with cement board. It worked great for cold smoking the sausages. I plan to line the cement board with Stainless steel as time permits.
Now that I am retired I would like to finish it for hot smoking/grilling. Up to 275-300 degrees. I currently have a turkey fryer inside to see how it would hold the heat. I plan to gut an oven for the controller/burner so It doesn't become a bomb if the flame goes out. I got it to 275 with no issues. 20180812_094121.jpg
I also built a large smoke generator. I am also working out the bugs in it but I can get a decent amount of thin smoke from it. 20180812_113113.jpg
Now for the issues. When I have the fryer burning on the inside the smoke from the generator disappears. When I turn the fryer off the smoke then reappears. I have tried different approaches such as adding a stack to the smoke inlet inside the smoke house to bring the inlet well above the fire. I have also opened the 4x10 lower register to allow more Oxygen in for the burner. It currently has 1 4x10 register at the top and one at the bottom, both on the same side. I will be installing the other 2 on the other side shortly.
Where does my smoke go when I run the burner?

Flame consumes smoke... Flame is a pollution control device... All the particulates and aerosols burn up....

Thats what I thought. I finally turned the propane off and just played with the smoke generator. After I got it smoking really well i relit the propane and then they both played nice together. I will get more pics of the inside up here in the next week or so. Seems that the generator has to be putting out a lot of smoke before lighting the gas. I also closed the bottom register and that seemed to help.
Does anyone know where I can get plans to use an oven controler/burner/thermostat for this project? I have one from my moms house i can tear into. It is a simple stove but still has an electronic controlboard, not the analog oven dial I had hoped for.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky