New guy with MES - planning my first smoke

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I was planning to get the AMNPS tray just because I’ve seen it recommended the most, is the tube a better choice?

All I can say is I use the tube with ubolt mod and ground pellets IN my MES and I get nothing but thin blue smoke.

Well so far not really happy. I’m getting good smoke (yes, putting chips in every 40ish, no biggie) but the onboard thermometer must be a joke. I had it set to 235* for the first 2 hours as I just expected the temp to fluctuate low. When I pulled the ribs off after 2 hours to foil them, they didn’t seem to be “cooked” much at all. I stuck my Weber instant thermometer in them and they were only 140-145*. I did butter, sugar, honey, wrapped them up quick and threw them back in on the middle rack and bumped the temp to 245* and letting them go for 2 hours...I’ve already got a Thermopro on order but it won’t be here until Tuesday. Crossing fingers things will still be ok.

Well maybe I panicked a little too much as everything turned out just fine! Pulled the ribs out after being wrapped corn 2 hours and boyyyyy were they tender. I could barely get them out of the foil onto the rack without them bending in half! I brushed them lightly with SBR and put back in at 230* for 40 minutes and they were DONE!! The bones literally slid right out of the meat - I know some aren’t a fan of this but I thought they were damn near perfect. The ribs had a decent crust, stayed nice and moist, and flavor was pretty darn good. I’m just shocked and could not believe that I was able to create a delicious fall off the bone rib myself with such ease. Hell, most of the time was just watching football and looking out the window making sure the smoke was rolling.

A few observations and critiques:
  • I think I was just a tad heavy on the rub seasoning or need to try something else. I used Famous Dave’s Rib Rub just because I wanted simple and easy. This rub actually had a decent little spice to it, which I liked, but the hickory smoke seemed to amplify it and make it more powerful...if that makes sense.

• The hickory smoke flavor was quite prominent. I was surprised by this as I kept just a decent flow of smoke and literally only dumped in a palm’s worth of chips about every 30-40 minutes BUT now I do recall about half way in I did have a small flare up fire in the chip tray that I had to blow out. I think due to this small fire, the “bad” smoke may have filled the smoker too long before I realized it and was able to air it out.
All in all it was a great first attempt and I cannot wait to keep with this new hobby and try more stuff!! Thank you everyone for chiming in and providing good tips.

0DF1149C-1DF5-4877-A7D8-DDCEF3BC979C.jpeg
0C8CEA0D-3855-4226-8899-8115C798085E.jpeg
587B868E-BE0F-4BB4-80A7-CAEFB3C3AEE3.jpeg
6BFA08F6-8201-4D61-9AEA-E45BF887AEE3.jpeg
BBAE0C06-3E39-403D-A995-076546EEA3A3.jpeg

EBB33203-56E8-4E27-A1A1-55833C69E020.jpeg

Last edited:
They look tasty. Yes a decent thermometer will tell you what your smoker temp actually is at. Their probe and temp are rarely correect.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky