New Guy looking for info on vertical smokers

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Chumley

Original poster
Apr 30, 2022
I'm new to the forum and wanted to get your take on vertical smokers. I've had a Webber bullet smoker, then moved on to a GMG Daniel Boone. Loved the webber but it started getting mold inside and I could not get rid of it. The GMG was a pain to clean, and had ridiculous temp swings across the grill. I measured differences of over 100 degrees from side to side. So now I'm looking for another pellet smoker.
I may end up with another horizontal pellet smoker like the Camp Cheff DLX but am also looking at the vertical smokers at Lowes. Are vertical smokers a pain to clean? Is it easy to get to the firebox to clean out the ashes? Do you have too worry about which rack you put the meat on as far as heat? I assume the heat profile won't be consistent from top to bottom. It would seem they may be messy when turning the meat or when taking it up. Does the grease drip out? Lots of questions but I want to know what I'm getting into before I pull the trigger on another smoker and decide its the wrong one again.

I have a Smoke Daddy Vertical for almost a year now. I love it. I bought and returned several models from home depot and lowes before deciding on the Smoke Daddy. Plenty of room, temps hold to with in 15 deg F top to bottom. it is pricey But it is built well and will last a life time. The customer support is amazing. Family owned company

I'm new to the forum and wanted to get your take on vertical smokers. I've had a Webber bullet smoker, then moved on to a GMG Daniel Boone. Loved the webber but it started getting mold inside and I could not get rid of it. The GMG was a pain to clean, and had ridiculous temp swings across the grill. I measured differences of over 100 degrees from side to side. So now I'm looking for another pellet smoker.
I may end up with another horizontal pellet smoker like the Camp Cheff DLX but am also looking at the vertical smokers at Lowes. Are vertical smokers a pain to clean? Is it easy to get to the firebox to clean out the ashes? Do you have too worry about which rack you put the meat on as far as heat? I assume the heat profile won't be consistent from top to bottom. It would seem they may be messy when turning the meat or when taking it up. Does the grease drip out? Lots of questions but I want to know what I'm getting into before I pull the trigger on another smoker and decide its the wrong one again.
The water pan helps even out the temperature in your smoker on whichever smoker you're using.

Take a look at the Camp Chef XXL. I really like mine. I bought mine before they came out with the new WiFi controller and I still have no complaints. One of these days I'll upgrade the controller.

Bought the son a pitboss #5 a few years ago, it works very well

I have a pit boss pro series 4 vertical smoker. I like how easy it is to set up without a lot of babysitting but the meat doesn't come out taking like it was on a offset smoker. I can get blue smoke from my pellet smoker but no deep Smoky flavor on my meat like I was expecting since I've only had the smoker for 7 months now and there was only one brand of pellets I use that ever created thin blue smoke..

Some people say all I need is just a tiny bit of a smoke flavor then I would be happy well if that's all the Smoky flavor you wanted or not you cook it in the oven and sprinkle some liquid smoke on it??? Barbecue supposed to taste like barbecue because I don't want to sit down and take a bite and try to decide if there is any flavor in there that I'm looking for. So if you can get your meat to taste like it was actually on a offset smoker then please help me out cuz I'm looking for answers too thank you...

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky