new guy here!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

preston897

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Oct 30, 2013
Weatherford Tx.
hello everyone! ive been lurking on this forum to learn more and more about the wonderful world of smoking. and grilling! i decided it was finally time to join. im super excited about my new uds and thought it would be fun to share the experience with everyone. as far as my smoking experience goes....its pretty little but i recently did a brisket on my cheap wally world horizontal smoker and i got hooked. also that brisket did not turn out very well....

Glad you joined the group. The search bar at the top of any page is your best friend.
About anything you wanna know about smoking/grilling/curing/brining/cutting or slicing
and the list goes on has probably been posted. Remember to post a QVIEW of your smokes.
We are all smoke junkies here and we have to get our fix. If you have questions Post it
and you will probably get 10 replies with 11 different answers. That is because their
are so many different ways to make great Q We all have our own taste.

Happy smoken.

David

[h1]
texas.gif
Hello and welcome from East Texas. This is a great site, lots of information and great people that are willing to throw in their two cents worth on about anything   ......... 
[/h1][h1]  [/h1][h1]Gary[/h1]

thank you! i will definitely post QView. i like seeing the pictures just as much as everyone else. ive already go a few pictures of my uds i took during the seasoning process. i may just have to go find that part of the forum and start sharing!

Welcome from Canada.
canada-flag-68.gif

I only started smoking last year and had limited success until I found this forum. I learned a lot by looking stuff up in the search bar and the kind members have been great about giving help and advice. I think you'll like it here.

I look forward to your posts.

Disco

Brisket takes time, Keep practicing   Tell us what and how you did it and maybe someone can give you some suggestions

Gary

my first mistake i think was that i did a point and a flat separate. i didnt have a packer. im guessing these are harder to do because there is not much fat on it that way? i also only got the temp to 175. with my old horizontal smoker i did it on i was so worried about temps i kept opening it every hour to rotate the brisket so i would not burn it. i think that was a mistake as well. i spent some time on this forum after that cook trying to figure out where i went wrong. the thing i cant figure out is to foil or not to foil, how to get a good bark on it, and how to know when i should stop adding smoke wood to the fire and just leave it as coals so i dont over smoke. are there any tips for that or is it just a learning experience? 

Hi Preston,

welcome1.gif
 to the SMF, the best BBQ site on the web.  Whatever you need to know about the fine art of BBQ you can find it right here, from recipes to technical knowledge.

One thing you need to know about us is that we like to see pictures of your creations and your gear.  We call it Q-View and its basically the 
Rules.gif
!!!

So, don't just talk about your food, show it!  Otherwise you may get a gentle reminder, like this...

worthless.gif
  or this...
th_What_NO_QVIEW.gif

Good Luck and Get Smokin'

Bill

Welcome to the forum from Colorado. I too had trials with a small brisket but with all the collaborative information and knowledge lurking in the forum it was pretty easy to get it down. Do not give up. Smoke on brother. 

Hi Preston and welcome!  To foil or not to foil is a debate for the ages...there are as many who do as there are who don't.  If you're trying to get a better bark, you probably don't want to foil.  If you let that brisket ride all the way to finished internal temp (somewhere between 195-205...each piece of meat is different), you'll get a nice bark.  It sounds like you already learned about one of the favorite sayings around here:  If you're lookin', you're not cookin'.  The best way to get if finished and get a nice bark is keep the smoker door closed.  As far as when to stop adding smoke, that's a personal choice based on taste and experience.  I like real smoky flavor, especially on a brisket, so I tend to keep the smoke rolling as long as its cooking.  Others prefer much less smoke and adjust according to their own preference.

Good luck!  Half the fun is in experimenting and learning about your own equipment and techniques as you go.

Red

Today will be the first cook on my uds. Im doing a whole chicken. No maverick thermo yet so im just going to keep it closed up for 2 hours or so before i open it up to check temps. Ill post some qview later!

Check your local wal mart for a wireless meat probe. Found one for 15 bucks.  Making it work til i get a Maverick or IGRILL.

i looked at those today. the way i look at it is i can save that money and its $15 towards the maverick. otherwise ill be spending $70 haha. i read about the 733 earlier. im interested in that one now

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky