New Guy From Wisconsin!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Bones816

Fire Starter
Original poster
May 27, 2018
East Central Wisconsin
I've been working my way around the forum for a little over a week now. Awesome site and I can't wait to learn more. I bought a Traeger last month and I've been cooking a lot but I have a question I posted in the "General" section and I'm just not getting the answers I'd hoped for. I want to have reverse seared steaks and baked potatoes. I can't figure out a way to have both ready at the same time. Help a newbie out please.

Welcome to the site bones, my advice would be to cook the potatoes first. Once done place the potatoes on a cooler section of your smoker(away from heat source). Then cook the steaks. The potatoes should still be warm enough to eat without them being over cooked. I would also wrap the potatoes with aluminum foil to prevent black skin.

Chris

So, cook the potatoes on high for about an hour and 15 minutes, take the off while the Traeger shuts down, Wrap the potatoes in foil, restart the Traeger and smoke the steaks for an hour, then take the steaks off while I get the grill all the way to high and sear the steaks and reheat the potatoes. I have figured that could be the only way but I wonder how the spuds will be by the time the steaks are done. I'm thinking of not cooking them all the way done at first...

Bones, just thinking outside the box a little of your question. I would look into getting yourself 22” Weber. This will be your best friend when it comes to cooking sides and searing. Best 150 you can spend in my opinion. You could cook your taters on it while smoking your protein and easily kick the temp up at the end to sear.

Sorry Bones, I thought the Traeger grate was a little bigger with a cooler spot. You can sear at 350* and also bake a potato at that temp. I'm not sure how quickly the Traeger can up the temp for reverse searing. I don't use a pellet smoker so I will refrain from making things more confusing.

Chris

Last edited:
I have 3, 22" Webers so yeah, I could do that... just seems dumb to have to use a Weber and The Traeger to cook 2 steaks and 2 potatoes. I have used Webers for my whole life, I'm 61. Burn over 300 pounds of charcoal a year. I bought the Traeger to take the place of the charcoal grills. Maybe the Traeger becomes the number 2 grill instead of number 1.

If you are just looking to sear/crisp up the steaks after smoking, consider putting them under the broiler in your kitchen. You can sear your steaks in just a couple of minutes and have much better control.

yes, you can run the Traeger up hot enough to sear, but it takes a while to get hot enough and uses a lot of pellets (and at searing temp, you aren't going to be getting appreciable smoke flavor anyway).

Yes, you can fire up your weber, but why run two grills?

Just a matter of finding where to do it. Obviously in town won't work well. Time to find out who lives in the country ;)

I'm a little south of Sherwood ... 22 acre horse / hobby farm ... location and room wouldn't be an issue. Sitting next to the smoker now babysitting some ribs and smoked potatoes. This wind today is making fire and temp control a real challenge today.

Ha, I used to get out in the New Holstein area a fair bit! Friend had a small spread out there, so we could put up campers on her back yard and we partied alot. So Sherwood is even closer! We oughta see who all is around from WI and the like. She had horses as well, sadly never rode hers and normally when some one wanted to do she'd find a way out of it. Love horses, always wanted a Freisian..

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky