New from the Great Northwet

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

prestonbill

Original poster
Mar 15, 2006
Seattle area
Hello Everyone,

I'm new to the forum and smoking. I just bought a Great Outdoors Grill Co. 34" Wide Body Smoky Mountain Gas Smoker. The day I bought it I fired it up and let if burn for a couple of hours to get the new smell out and then put the ribs in. Smoked them for 4 hours and sat down and enjoyed my labors. Only problem was the rub I made up. It was to salty so I had to scrap it off and then they were very good.

I've lived in the Seattle area for about 35 year but grew up on a farm outside Mitchell, SD. Dad used to smoke meat and sausage all the time and I have missed it. It's time to start and give it a try.

I've only been here a couple of days and have learned more than my pea brain can absorb. I'm signed up for the e course and will be reading into the wee hours. I hope my next try will be better.

Thanks for being here and I will be asking questions.

Bill

Bill, I know a lot of us here have eaten our mistakes and that's the way we learn-trial and error. Welcome to Smoking Meat Forums!! We are all on here to help each other and learn from each other so if there is anything we can do to help you learn the art of the Thin BLue Smoke.

Was the rub you used a 'store bought' rub or one of your own making? If it's one that you made, could you post the recipe and let us see what changes need to be made to make it a better rub?

Thanks,

Earl,

Thanks for the welcome. You asked about the rub I used. I made it up myself and didn't write it down. I just read in the rub section that a person should write it down. Dah Next time I will write it down and if it isn't what I want I will post it. Thanks again

Bill

Bill-as a not so general rule, most rubs are comprised of equal amounts of salt and sugar with lesser amounts of cumin, chilli powder, garlic powder, onion powder, paprika, red and black pepper and what other spices you want to experment with. If you use garlic salt, onion salt or seasoning salt, they need to be figured in as part of the total salt content amount to equal the sugar content. If a sweeter rub is desired then increase the sugar until it meets your taste.

You can check out one of my rub recipes in the Pork Thread under Smoked Stuffed Pork Loin HERE.

Welcome to the forum.

I'm not a big salt eater myself, to much will cause a mild headache, so I usually cut the salt content if half on most rub recipes. Someone that likes more salt can always add it later.
wink.gif

Also since ribs are a thin cut of meat I don't pack a lot of rub on the like a brisket or butt. Just sprinkle a light to medium coat on them. You'll also get flavor from the smoke and glaze or sauce that you use so there's no need to bury them in rub.

Your next batch of ribs will be even better, and the batch after that. :D

Bill, Welcome Friend, there's lots of great info to look thru here already and questions don't go unanswered around this group :)!!

Welcome to the forum Bill, I know you'll enjoy it here. I too had the same problem with my rubs when starting out not so long ago. Silly me I wasn't taking into acount the salt in things like seasoning salt. I also wasn't writing my recipes down but I suppose we all have to learn somewhere. I've found that I like a rub with a bit more black pepper and sugar in it and cut way back on any salt. Another great tip is to use Torbino (not sure on spelling) sugar which is sugar in the raw. It dosen't burn as easily as the others. Hope your next batch turns out better for you.

Preston Bill,

Hey it's great to see another "East Sider". I'm assuming that you are from Preston, I'm from Duvall. Welcome aboard! Perhaps someday we will have to have a great northwest cook off :)

Mike,

Yup I'm from Preston. Thanks for the welcome. It's nice to see other Northwesterners on here. Sounds like a good time having a smoke off sometime.

Bill

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky