New Dry Curing Chamber Build...42cu.ft. stainless double door

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Progress....
I went ahead and redesigned the radiator clips. First design made for easy positioning allowing me to slide the radiators to add more during R&D. Trying to push the hose on the radiators with them in place in back of the baffle plate was a PITA. So I wanted an easier way to do that and since I need to close off the area above the radiators now that I am moving the fans, figured I could kill two birds with one stone. This is the design I came up with..
IMG_20220720_202453.jpg

IMG_20220720_202456.jpg

The new radiator clips...
IMG_20220720_204922.jpg

IMG_20220720_204925.jpg

IMG_20220720_204928.jpg

Reversed the screws and small bolts so I could install the baffle plate and tap the screws and bolts to make marks on the plate for hole reference... This is why custom fabrication takes so long.
IMG_20220720_202522.jpg

IMG_20220720_202533.jpg

I have the holes on the ceiling marked, but need to stop by Lowe's tomorrow and pick up a drill bit extension for $9 so I can drill the holes without having to remove the radiators and clips. I have just enough room the make that work.

Not much left now. Install PVC foam rubber to seal the plate, drill the fan holes, install the fans and fan grills, wire it up, install plate. Fan grills are suppose to arrive Saturday...might get here sooner...

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: JC in GB

Liquid Coolant​

Liquid coolants not only enable heat transfer, they must combat a variety of risks like corrosion and biological growth. Koolance liquids won't clog components and can be used for years before replacement.

The last of the parts I ordered arrived today. Lights, double stick tape, and 80mm nickle plated fan grills. I got the fan plate fabricated and have the holes laid out for the fans, just need to cut them out. I might fool with that later Friday night, if not then that will be Saturday's focus....the fun part of a build; hooking everything up!

Reactions: mike243
WOOOOHOOOO! I CAN HANG SOME MEAT!

IMG_20220723_171619.jpg

IMG_20220723_171553.jpg

For all intents and purposes, it's done. I still have some small stuff I need to do, but that won't affect how the chamber performs. I am waiting for door light switches to arrive to install, and a dedicated power supply for the lights, make the drain jug shelf, and install an auxiliary switch for the power supply on the top shroud for easy access. But I can do most of this with meat hanging in it. What a project! Way more involved than I thought it would be at first, but the precision control I have over all the parameters was worth it! Thanks for all the advice from the people on SMF- especially JC in GB JC in GB - that contributed on this project. I will be posting a review thread at a later date once I have run it for a while to give my thoughts on it for those contemplating tackling the project to build one for themselves...

It's beer time boys. Time to celebrate!

Last edited:
That looks fantastic looks very professional very nice job can't wait to see it full of meat and the results from that

That looks fantastic looks very professional very nice job can't wait to see it full of meat and the results from that
Thaks pineywoods! This is a life long dream going back 30 years or so... I feel fortunate to have stumbled across that double door freezer; and lucky I saw JC in GB JC in GB post his build thread which planted the seed for my future build today. I have been boarder line obsessed with completing this project. And those casters from Tractor supply that you recommended are awesome! I must have pushed that freezer a mile already...inches at a time...back and forth working on it in the house!!! LOL!!!

I wish I would have installed the dH intake baffle plate before I stuck the strip lights to the wall between the doors. Would be nice to have them moved down about 2" so there is no glare on the blue baffle plate. I might try the cut the double stick foam tape with a razor then clean the wall and the back of the light with acetone; reapply sticky foam tape and move the light down.....

Cleaned the shrouds up and installed the 110v toggle switch. Will install the shrouds then install the controllers and PWM switch on the front shroud with sticky velcro strip tape. Then a final systems check tonight. Will hang some meat in it this week....more than likely some snack sticks that will put off a lot of moisture to test the dH system for real....

Running the cooling fans at a reduced speed, the chillers can cool the radiator water down to 4.5-5*F below chamber temp., so that is perfect for optimum cooling without condensation...

I have another power supply on order for the lights. I may use it to run the fans constant at the reduced flow rate to see how that works. I'll have to use the 1 of the MOSFET switches JC in GB JC in GB made for me if I do that for switching the lights.

Another useful calculator:
https://www.lenntech.com/calculators/humidity/relative-humidity.htm

If the dH air enters the chamber at 50*F; 76%RH, then that air at 56*F is 61.7%RH.

With the air entering the dH being 82%RH, that is a drop of humidity of over 20%. So in less than 4 minutes, I am pulling 20% of the moisture out of the air. That is awesome!

I stand in awe!
Thanks Sven! I am really happy with how it turned out...and even happier at how it is performing! I can't wait to fill it up!! Or have fun trying!! LOL!!! Thinking of some cacciatore sticks, napolitana piccante sticks, or some Calabrian piccante sticks.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky