Netting size for back bacon

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Mofatguy

Meat Mopper
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Jan 31, 2019
Missouri
Hey all,
I'm wanting to get some netting to hang my back bacon next time I smoke some. Will be hot smoking

Thanks

I've got bacon hooks already. I've been smoking just laying on the grates. I was justing wanting to make it look more round. Just a presentation thing.

Reactions: chopsaw
not sure why you want to make your back bacon round, maybe someone will be around to help you

Mofatguy Mofatguy I'm with you on this . I use number 4 for loins . Fits perfect on a bun , biscuit or English muffin .
Number 4 fits tight on a pork loin , but gives it a nice round shape ,
20180107_084222.jpg
Used a ham bag and no. 4 netting on this one .
20190403_212542.jpg

No. 28 fits a whole butt for ham .
20180316_153002.jpg

Attachments

• 20190405_093112.jpg
    20190405_093112.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:
Reactions: Mofatguy
Thanks chopsaw! That's exactly what I wanted to know!

Time to order some netting!

Chopsaw's Look Pretty in the Round!!
However I Dry Cure with TQ, so I like mine to be flattened out.
That way it stays under 3" Thick, so I don't have to inject.
I never had trouble curing to center as long as it's under 3" thick.

Bear

Reactions: chopsaw
I use tender quick also . Cure flat without the net , then net them up to hang .
So Bear makes a point I should have mentioned , cure without the netting .
Thanks John .

Reactions: Bearcarver
Yep. Figured that was how you did it.

You said #4 netting. Did you mean #14? Shows in Sausage Maker catalog that size has a 4" working diameter

Yep. Figured that was how you did it.

You said #4 netting. Did you mean #14? Shows in Sausage Maker catalog that size has a 4" working diameter
Well , the bag is gone from what I had . I'm on TSM now , and see what you're saying . I would buy the 14 . I'm pretty sure mine was 4 . I've had it awhile and like I mentioned it's tight on a loin .

Reactions: Mofatguy
Yeah 14 ,,, memory starting to go . I just counted the squares on what I have . Came up with 14 ( had to take my shoes off )

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky